Calculate Crane Height from Angle Measurement

In summary, to calculate the height of a crane on top of a building, Dennis measures the angles of elevation to the bottom and top of the crane, which are 62 degrees and 68 degrees respectively. Using the fact that the bottom of the crane is equal to the top of the building, which is 42 metres high, your friend can find the distance from the building and then use trigonometry to calculate the height of the crane. Remember, it's important to try to solve the problem yourself before asking for an answer.
Cbray
To calculate the height of a crane which is on top of a building, dennis measures the angle of elevation to the bottom and the top of the crane. these were 62 degrees and 68 degrees respectively. if the building is 42 metres high find the height of the crane.

I'm asking for a friend, excuse the English it was sent through an instant message.
He would prefer the answer (and working if possible), thanks! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We can't just give out answers, it's a rule. We need to see what he's tried first.

You (or your friend) should begin by finding out how far the person is from the building. Use the fact that the bottom of the crane is equal to the top of the building which is 42m high.

1. How do I measure the angle of a crane?

To measure the angle of a crane, you will need a protractor or angle measuring tool. Place one end of the protractor at the base of the crane and align the other end with the top of the crane. The angle measurement will be indicated on the protractor.

2. What other information do I need to calculate the crane height?

In addition to the angle measurement, you will also need the distance from the base of the crane to the point where the angle was measured. This can be measured using a tape measure or by using the known length of one side of the base of the crane and applying basic geometry to calculate the distance.

3. How do I calculate the crane height using the angle measurement?

The formula for calculating the crane height from the angle measurement is: height = distance x tan(angle). Simply plug in the distance and angle values into the formula and solve for the height.

4. Can I use this method to calculate the height of any object?

Yes, this method can be used to calculate the height of any object as long as you have the angle measurement and the distance to the object. It can be particularly useful for tall objects, such as trees or buildings.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when using this method?

When using this method, it is important to note that the angle measurement and distance should be taken from the same point of reference. Also, make sure to use the correct unit of measurement for both the angle and distance, such as degrees and meters. Any errors in measurement can affect the accuracy of the calculated height.