Proving the Inequality: Finding the Derivative of (1/2)^m for m=2^n

• Thread starter puzzek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the problem is to prove the inequality for the given series $S_n = \sum_{m=0}^{2^n} \frac{1}{2^m}$ and possible methods include using the derivative of $(1/2)^m$ and finding a Riemann sum. One possible solution is to use the Comparison Test to show that the series is greater than or equal to $\frac{1}{2}$, thus proving the inequality.
puzzek

Homework Statement

prove the inequality.

Homework Equations

(in the attached file.)

The Attempt at a Solution

The derivative of (1/2)^m where m=2^n is exactly what I need. But I can’t find the sum of (1/2)^m (because as it’s not geometric series, m doesn’t run from 0 to inf).
by the way, am I allowed to make a derivative to this sum (I know I need to prove first that it uniformly converges?

- Another way I tried - to find a Riemann sum that suits this sum (I mean - f(x), Delta-X, and points in the intervals, to find an integral of the sum - but couldn't find a good one.)

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• eq.jpg
    eq.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 383
Physics news on Phys.org
. Let $S_n = \sum_{m=0}^{2^n} \frac{1}{2^m}$ be the given series. Since each term of the series is positive, by the Comparison Test we have that $S_n \geq \sum_{m=0}^{2^n} \frac{1}{2^{2^n}} = \frac{2^{n+1} - 1}{2^{2^n}}$. Taking the limit as $n \to \infty$, we have $\lim_{n \to \infty} S_n \geq \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{2^{n+1} - 1}{2^{2^n}} = \frac{1}{2}$. Therefore, $\lim_{n \to \infty} S_n \geq \frac{1}{2}$.

1. What is the inequality being proven in this equation?

The inequality being proven is (1/2)^m < (1/2)^n, where m and n are positive integers.

2. How is the derivative of (1/2)^m found?

The derivative of (1/2)^m can be found using the power rule: d/dx (a^x) = a^x * ln(a).

3. Why is the value of m set to 2^n?

The value of m is set to 2^n because it allows for simplification of the inequality and demonstrates the use of the power rule in finding the derivative.

4. Can the same method be used to prove other inequalities with different values of m and n?

Yes, the same method can be used to prove other inequalities with different values of m and n. As long as the values are positive integers, the power rule can be applied to find the derivative.

5. What is the significance of proving this inequality?

Proving this inequality shows the relationship between exponents and derivatives, and how the power rule can be used to find the derivative of a function with a variable exponent. It also has practical applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.