Classic and Modern Literature Recommendations

• Thread starter Secular Angel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Literature
In summary: It sounds like you enjoy reading a lot, so I'd recommend picking up anything that catches your attention. Some of my favorites include "The Catcher in the Rye," "To Kill A Mockingbird," "The Great Gatsby," and "The Harry Potter series." Any of those would be a great starting point.
speaking of Disney, a good little kids book is the Black Cauldron series. actually its really good

Physics news on Phys.org
I have always been a reader, I read what ever is available, I go through phases sometimes they are forced by circumstance. While in the Navy I found the ships library somewhat limited, so I read what was there. The Three Musketeers, Les Miserable , and The Hunchback of Noter Dame are some of the memorable ones. I would recommend them.

At another point in life I started on Louie LaAmour westerns, They are quick easy reads and very good (but somewhat repetitive) stories.

In another phase I read military history, this finally lead me to Gibbons Decline and Fall of the Roman Empireit is a tough read, I would not recommend it unless you have lots of time, and War and Peace this is a good story, but is also a large time commitment.

In the historic vein try the series of Sharp tales by Bernard Cornwall. They read about like a Louie LaAmour story but are about a Rifleman in the Napoleonic era British Army. The Naval tales of Patric O'Brien (author of Master and Commander are also very good.

If you are looking for good science fiction anything by Larry Nivin and Jerry Pournelle is top rate. For instance Mote in Gods Eye, Ring World, Integral Trees There are many more all are worthwhile reads.

Needless to say that the "classic" SciFi of Asimov, like the Foundation trilogy, or Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land are good reads. Just last week I reread one of Heinlein's Youth SciFi stories Tunnel in the Sky it is still a good story!

omicron said:
How about C.S Lewis? If u haven't read Narnia, u should because its I heard that there's going to be a movie release next year by Disney (thats if u are interested).
The Witch, the Lion, and the Wardrobe is good, but, to me, each successive book in the series deteriorated, I could not finish the series. To much religious mumbo jumbo.

I apologize for the long absence. For clarification, I wanted literature that are generally recognized as extremely enjoyable/popular and had literary merit. And I'm a boy. :P

Secular Angel said:
I apologize for the long absence. For clarification, I wanted literature that are generally recognized as extremely enjoyable/popular and had literary merit. And I'm a boy. :P
Any particular genre that you enjoy?

My daughter's favorite book is "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac, she also really liked "Catcher in the Rye", "Where the red fern grows", but she was in 4th grade when she read it, but I hear it's very good.

Shakepeare, she prefers Othello & Romeo & Juliette

Metamorphosis by Kafka

George Orwell - 1984, Brave New World, I recommend Animal Farm

I liked Pride and Prejudice, but being a boy you might not care for it.

She'll try to remember more tomorrow, she was falling asleep.

Evo said:
Any particular genre that you enjoy?

My daughter's favorite book is "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac, she also really liked "Catcher in the Rye", "Where the red fern grows", but she was in 4th grade when she read it, but I hear it's very good.
Everytime you buy Catcher in the Rye, the government puts a red flag next to your name.

Where the red fern grows is the best book a kid could ever hope to read, absolutely fantastic, until you hit about 5th or 6th grade. I tried rereading it later in life and it just didnt have the same appeal. It's another one of those kids books that are so cruel and sad that you just about want to pluck your eyes out so you never have to read something so sad again. same author wrote "Summer of the Monkeys" another one that'll make you cry for however long it takes for the Paxil to take hold.
Neither one is worth reading after you turn 16, unless you are reading it to a child.

I'll read anything that has a good story but I'm not much into Mystery, Romance, Sci-Fi, or Westerns. I'll take any gay youth or gay-themed recommendations (I'm gay so those books especially hit home). I also enjoy deep character studies, aesthetically stimulating stories, and heartwarming/heartbreaking coming of age tales.

I'm especially attracted to bittersweet stories.

E.M Forster's "Maurice" is a must for you, then.
Merchant&Ivory made an excellent movie out of it.

E.M Forster is one of the most accesible "classical" authors.
"Howard's End" and "A Passage to India" are very good novels, too (not "gay"-themed, though).

Last edited:
Evo said:
I'm not into too many of the "classics". I was always an avid reader, but as a child I read mostly ancient history, mythology and science fiction. I read anything I could get my hands on until I was 10 when a neighbor gave me "Treasure Island" for my birthday, it was the first book I got so bored with I couldn't finish.
Aaauuggghh!

I loved "Treasure Island"!

On the other hand, I couldn't stand "Catcher in the Rye".

My favorites:

"The Lamb's War" by Jan deHartog (It's hard getting through the first half the book - it takes place in a German concentration camp for Jews and it can get depressing. It becomes stranger once they reach the Indian reservation. You could retitle this one "The Making of a Psychotic Missionary".)

"To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

"East of Eden" by John Steinbeck (Forget the plot - the little family anecdotes Steinbeck tosses in makes this worth it. I especially liked the anecdote about the grandmother who won a ride in a WWI bi-plane by selling so many war bonds.) Actually, I like most of Steinbeck's books and it's hard giving East of Eden the nod over "Of Mice and Men".

"Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo (Same as East of Eden - this book is about twice as good the second time, after you've gotten past the main theme and can concentrate on enjoying the little stories along the way).

"Call of the Wild" and "White Fang" by Jack London

"Old Yeller" by Fred Gipson

"Last of the Mohicans" by James Fennimore Cooper (The movie is great, but barely resembles the book. The book is better.)

Ken Kesey's first two books were great, as well. "Sometimes a Great Notion" and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Naturally, one look at my signature and you'll want to take my literary recommendations to the bank.

Last edited:
arildno said:
E.M Forster's "Maurice" is a must for you, then.
Merchant&Ivory made an excellent movie out of it.

E.M Forster is one of the most accesible "classical" authors.
"Howard's End" and "A Passage to India" are very good novels, too (not "gay"-themed, though).
WHAT? Howard's End isn't gay themed?

The problem here is that you leave me with lines like the one above, and expect me not to say something stupid. You all thought the same thing when you saw Howard's end and gay themed in the same sentence, but I was the only one who dared say it outloud.
Now I'm going to get in trouble for it.

If you can't care less about literature and want some serious techno-action, I recommend Tom Clancy...but that's not what this thread's about, is it ? :grumpy:

Gokul43201 said:
..but that's not what this thread's about, is it ? :grumpy:
since when has that mattered?

Gokul43201 said:
If you can't care less about literature and want some serious techno-action, I recommend Tom Clancy...but that's not what this thread's about, is it ? :grumpy:
On the contrary, I'd like titles that have a little substance at least. >_>

Nobody mentioned The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson, don't tell me THEY got to all of you too!

I SEE THE FJORDS!
HAIL KALLISTA!

Last edited:
tribdog said:
The problem here is that you leave me with lines like the one above, and expect me not to say something stupid. You all thought the same thing when you saw Howard's end and gay themed in the same sentence, but I was the only one who dared say it outloud.
Now I'm going to get in trouble for it.
Whoops, I missed that connection..:redface:, :biggrin:

BobG said:
Aaauuggghh!

I loved "Treasure Island"!

On the other hand, I couldn't stand "Catcher in the Rye".
I haven't read "Catcher in the Rye", my daughter liked it though.

I didn't read too many of the classics growing up, I was heavily into science fiction. I did enjoy reading "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott.

Don't forget the "My Little Pony" Unabridged Anthology