Resolution of distant light sources

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum angular separation that a human eye can resolve when viewing two objects, considering only diffraction effects. The problem involves determining the distance between two car headlights that are 2.1 m apart and the minimum angular separation between two stars. The equations used are θ=(1.22*λ)/D and θ=2sin-1(0.5d/l), and the answer is found to be 15648 m. The conversation also mentions checking the reasonableness of the answer and the possibility of making algebraic or calculator errors.
grouper

Homework Statement

How far away can a human eye distinguish two car headlights 2.1 m apart? Consider only diffraction effects and assume an eye pupil diameter of 5.0 mm and a wavelength of 550 nm. What is the minimum angular separation an eye could resolve when viewing two stars, considering only diffraction effects?

Homework Equations

θ=(1.22*λ)/D where D=diameter

The Attempt at a Solution

If θ=2sin-1(0.5d/l) where d=distance between objects and l=length/distance to objects, then θ=(1.22*λ)/D with λ550e-9 m and D=0.005 m and l=2.1 m yields l=8.9658e5 m. This is incorrect though and I'm not sure where I went wrong. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
grouper said:

Homework Statement

How far away can a human eye distinguish two car headlights 2.1 m apart? Consider only diffraction effects and assume an eye pupil diameter of 5.0 mm and a wavelength of 550 nm. What is the minimum angular separation an eye could resolve when viewing two stars, considering only diffraction effects?

Homework Equations

θ=(1.22*λ)/D where D=diameter

The Attempt at a Solution

If θ=2sin-1(0.5d/l) where d=distance between objects and l=length/distance to objects, then θ=(1.22*λ)/D with λ550e-9 m and D=0.005 m and l=2.1 m yields l=8.9658e5 m.

That's almost 900 km. The first thing you should do when solving physics problems is to ask yourself whether the answer you obtained makes any sense. Is it reasonable?

grouper said:
This is incorrect though and I'm not sure where I went wrong. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

You must have made some sort of algebraic error somewhere. We can't really help you track it down unless if you show us the steps in your solution.

That's almost 900 km. The first thing you should do when solving physics problems is to ask yourself whether the answer you obtained makes any sense. Is it reasonable?

Yes, I recognized that my answer was way off. Which is why I was confused, because I couldn't find the mistake earlier in my work.

You must have made some sort of algebraic error somewhere.

And yes, I must have made some sort of calculator error because I just tried it again and got 15648 m, which is much more reasonable (and also the correct answer). Thanks for the help.

1. What is resolution of distant light sources?

Resolution of distant light sources refers to the ability to distinguish separate, individual points of light at a far distance. It is a measure of how clear and detailed an image or object appears when viewed from a distance.

2. How is resolution of distant light sources measured?

The resolution of distant light sources is typically measured in terms of angular resolution, which is the smallest angle between two points of light that can be distinguished by the human eye. This is usually measured in arc seconds or degrees.

3. What factors affect the resolution of distant light sources?

The resolution of distant light sources can be affected by various factors, including atmospheric conditions, the quality of the optics used to view the sources, and the sensitivity of the human eye. The size and distance of the light source also play a role in its resolution.

4. Why is resolution of distant light sources important in astronomy?

The resolution of distant light sources is crucial in astronomy as it allows for clearer and more detailed observations of celestial objects. It also helps scientists to accurately measure the size, distance, and other properties of these objects, which can provide valuable insights into the nature of the universe.

5. Can the resolution of distant light sources be improved?

Yes, the resolution of distant light sources can be improved through the use of advanced technologies such as adaptive optics, which corrects for atmospheric distortions, and interferometry, which combines light from multiple telescopes to produce a sharper image. However, there are still limitations to how much the resolution can be improved due to factors such as atmospheric turbulence.