Is the Universe on the outside or inside?

In summary, the question is whether our universe exists on the inside or outside of a bubble, which is related to M-Theory or brane cosmology. However, these ideas are currently considered science fiction and have not been verified by evidence.
Mind Bender
Specifically, does our Universe exist on the inside "skin" of a bubble or the outside "skin" of a bubble? I'm sure this has something to do with M-Theory or brane cosmology, right? I'm curious.

Space news on Phys.org
Mind Bender said:
Specifically, does our Universe exist on the inside "skin" of a bubble or the outside "skin" of a bubble? I'm sure this has something to do with M-Theory or brane cosmology, right? I'm curious.

I think in the normal cosmological model those are nonsensical concepts. There may be totally unverified hypotheses that posit some models in which those concepts have meaning, but I think of them as Science Fiction. They MAY become science fact, but not yet.

1. Is the Universe on the outside or inside?

The concept of "outside" and "inside" implies a boundary or edge, which the Universe does not have. The Universe is infinite and constantly expanding, so it does not have a defined location or orientation in space.

2. What evidence do we have for the Universe being on the outside or inside?

There is currently no scientific evidence or theory that supports the idea of the Universe being on the outside or inside. The laws of physics and our understanding of the Universe suggest that it is neither on the outside or inside, but rather it is all-encompassing.

3. Could the Universe be a simulation or a hologram?

While some theories suggest that the Universe could potentially be a simulation or a hologram, there is no concrete evidence to support this idea. It is still a subject of debate and further research is needed to fully understand the nature of the Universe.

4. How does the concept of "outside" or "inside" apply to the Universe?

As mentioned earlier, the concept of "outside" or "inside" does not apply to the Universe as it does not have a defined boundary. The Universe is constantly expanding and all-encompassing, making it impossible to determine its orientation or location in space.

5. Is it possible for the Universe to have an edge or boundary?

Based on our current understanding of the Universe, it is highly unlikely that it has an edge or boundary. If it did, it would mean that there is something beyond the Universe, which goes against the concept of infinity and expansion. However, our understanding of the Universe is constantly evolving, so it is possible that future discoveries may shed light on this question.