Deriving a scale factor expression for FLRW model

In summary, the paper discusses Woodard's equation (205) which provides a scale factor for quantum gravity based on the assumptions of constant equation of state and absorbed cosmological constant. The derivation involves using equations (199) and (204) to obtain a simplified equation and then solving for the scale factor in terms of the Hubble constant and a base time t_1.
Rettaw
Hello, I am reading this paper about quantum gravity, trying and failing to follow along in the derivation of this, eq (204) p. 72, expression for the scale factor:
[itex]
a(t) = a_1 \left( 1 + \frac 3 2 ( 1 + \omega ) H_1 (t - t_1) \right)^{\frac 2 {3(1+\omega)}}
[/itex]

(I'm not sure what the subscript 1 means, it's not clear from the text)

This we apparently can get from the equation

[itex]
3 H^2 - c^2 \Lambda = \frac{8 \pi G} {c^2} \rho
[/itex]

and

[itex]
\rho (t) = \rho_1 (\frac {a(t)} {a_1} )^{-3(1+\omega)}.
[/itex]

Could anyone help me with this?

/Rettaw

Space news on Phys.org
This is Woodard's equation (205)
[itex]
a(t) = a_1 \left( 1 + \frac 3 2 ( 1 + \omega ) H_1 (t - t_1) \right)^{\frac 2 {3(1+\omega)}}
[/itex]

"(I'm not sure what the subscript 1 means, it's not clear from the text)"

I think he means pick any arbitrary time t1 as a base time. Then a1 is just the scalefactor at that time. Shorthand for a(t1).

Likewise H1.

That's the only thing substantive i have to say right now. I don't want to plow through the elementary algebra steps. So I'm not helping you in the way you asked. Basically just commenting. But maybe this will help a little bit and someone else will provide additional explanation as needed.
===================
This is his equation (199)

[itex]
[/itex]

and this is his equation (204)

[itex]
\rho (t) = \rho_1 (\frac {a(t)} {a_1} )^{-3(1+\omega)}.
[/itex]

===================
Here are a few loosey goosey intuitive remarks FWIW
Equation (199) looks like it's just a form of the familiar Friedmann equation, It often appears with (200) which is one version of the Friedmann "acceleration" equation. Note that rho is an ENERGY density in his treatment, not a mass density as it sometimes is in other books.

Notice also that (204) is only true under the very restrictive assumption that the EOS remains constant. w is constant! He has already absorbed Lambda into the energy density rho. So this assumption can only be approximately right over a limited timespan. It is a drastic simplification, but still useful.

The intuitive content of (204) is straightforward. I think of dividing both sides by rho1 so you have a ratio of densities equal to a ratio of scalefactors to the -3 (...) power.Suppose momentarily that w = 0 (pressureless dust) so that the exponent really is -3.

then it is exactly what you expect. PICK ANY BASE TIME WHATEVER as your t1
and then look at some other time t, the ratio of densities is going to be equal to the ratio of linear scale raised to the -3 power.

Double the size and you divide the density by 8.
==========================

You still have to crunch the equations :smile:, but maybe this will help you make interpretive sense.

Last edited:
Well, actually "elementary algebra" wasn't that helpful. But thinking to myself about how to explain why it wasn't helpful WAS helpful, so thanks for the help :)

Anyway, for completeness and posterity this is (my guess at) the solution:
Starting with

[itex]
[/itex]

we move the [itex]\Lambda[/itex] term over to the rhs

[itex]
3 H^2 = \frac{8 \pi G} {c^2} \left( \rho + \frac {c^4}{8 \pi G} \Lambda \right)
[/itex]

and "renormalize" our density as

[itex]
\rho_{ren} = \rho + \frac {c^4}{8 \pi G} \Lambda
[/itex]

thus giving

[itex]
3 H^2 = \frac{8 \pi G} {c^2} \rho_{ren}. \qquad (*)
[/itex]

Now, we have the following expression for the density:

[itex]
\rho (t) = \rho_1 \left( \frac {a(t)} {a_1} \right)^{-3(1+\omega)}. \qquad (**)
[/itex]

and we wish to express [itex]\rho_1[/itex] in terms of the Hubble constant. So, understanding that [itex]\rho_1[/itex] means [itex]\rho_{ren}(t=t_1)[/itex], we solve for it in eq (*) with [itex]t=t_1[/itex] giving:

[itex]
\rho_1 = \frac{3 c^2} {8 \pi G} H_1^2
[/itex]

Putting this into (**) gives

[itex]
\rho(t) = \frac{3 c^2} {8 \pi G} H_1^2 \left( \frac {a(t)} {a_1} \right)^{-3(1+\omega)}
[/itex]

and putting that into (*) we get

[itex]
H(t) = H_1 \left( \frac {a(t)} {a_1} \right)^{- \frac 3 2 (1+\omega)}
[/itex]

where factors have been eliminated, and a square root has been taken. Substituring in [itex] H = \frac { \dot{a(t)}} {a(t)} [/itex] and moving all factors of [itex]a(t)[/itex] to the lhs, we get

[itex]
a^{\frac{1+ 3 \omega} 2 } \frac{da}{dt} = H_1 a_1^{\frac{3} 2 ( 1+ 3 \omega)}.
[/itex]

Here I use the physics trick of just using differentials like I want and move [itex]dt[/itex] to the rhs, and integrate between [itex]t_1[/itex] and t

[itex]
\int_{t_1}^t a^{\frac{1+ 3 \omega} 2 }da = \int_{t_1}^t H_1 a_1^{\frac{3} 2 ( 1+ 3 \omega)} dt
[/itex]

then I pretend I named things properly and evaluate this to

[itex]
\frac 2 {3(1+\omega)} \left( a(t)^{\frac{3} 2 ( 1+ 3 \omega)} - a_1^{\frac{3} 2 ( 1+ 3 \omega)} \right) = (t-t_1) H_1 a_1^{\frac{3} 2 ( 1+ 3 \omega)}
[/itex]

and this then is rewritten as

[itex]
a(t) = a_1 \left( 1 + \frac 3 2 ( 1 + \omega ) H_1 (t - t_1) \right)^{\frac 2 {3(1+\omega)}}.
[/itex]

*phew*

So yes, not entirely elemental algebra, but not much interesting going on besides defining [itex]\rho_1[/itex] in terms of the Hubble constant

1. What is the FLRW model?

The FLRW model, also known as the Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker model, is a mathematical framework used to describe the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe. It is based on the principles of general relativity and assumes a homogeneous and isotropic universe.

2. Why is a scale factor expression needed for the FLRW model?

A scale factor expression is needed to describe how the size of the universe changes over time in the FLRW model. It is a function of time and represents the expansion or contraction of the universe.

3. How is the scale factor expression derived?

The scale factor expression is derived by solving the equations of general relativity for a homogeneous and isotropic universe. This involves using the Friedmann equations, which relate the geometry and dynamics of the universe to its energy content, and solving for the scale factor as a function of time.

4. What factors affect the scale factor expression?

The scale factor expression is affected by the energy content of the universe, including matter, radiation, and dark energy. It is also influenced by the curvature of the universe, which is determined by the density of matter and energy.

5. How is the scale factor used in the FLRW model?

The scale factor is used to calculate the distances between objects in the universe and to determine the evolution of the universe over time. It is also used to make predictions about the fate of the universe, such as whether it will continue expanding or eventually collapse.