Measurement of material displacement using recorded material thermal data

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods of measuring material displacement using thermal data. The options mentioned include attaching strain gages, using a dilatometric measurement, and using IR cameras. It is also noted that special equipment may be needed for specimens that are incandescent. The person initiating the conversation is trying to measure displacement using a thermal camera, but is unsure if this will provide accurate results. They ask for suggestions on how to calculate the final displacement value using the thermal camera.
ProgrammerUK
Hello all

I am trying to measure material displacement using measured thermal data.7

While the specimen is heated up, I want to measure how much it changes its length at particular points.

Is this possible?

If you have any further questions or suggestions please do not hesitate to let me know

Thanks in advance

Programmer UK

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like you want to attach strain gages to the specimen. Be careful that the gages themselves don't affect the measurement - it can be very tricky to account for this.

Alternatively, you could perform a dilatometric measurement. There are commercial devices allowing for the measurement of thermal expansion.

Lastly, IR cameras might be useful if the resolution is sufficient for your needs.

Either use a dilatometer (with very low thermal expansion, e.g., ceramic) or calibrated visual system or both. It really depends on the temperature range.

One needs special eqipment for specimens that are incandescent.

Laser based dilatometers and micrometers maybe used.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I am actaully trying to measure it using a thermal camera, but I will get the change in temperature from this not the change in displacement.

I was also thinking of performing a dilatometric measurement but I thought I would get this information using a thermal camera only.

Is there a way I can get the thermal expansion from the material using the thermal camera and calculating the final displacement value?

Thanks in advace

Programmer UK

Hello Programmer UK,

Thank you for sharing your research and question. It is definitely possible to measure material displacement using thermal data. Thermal expansion is a well-known phenomenon where materials expand or contract when heated or cooled, respectively. By recording the thermal data of a material as it is heated, you can measure changes in its length at different points.

To accurately measure material displacement, you will need to have precise and consistent thermal data and a method for tracking the changes in length. This could involve using specialized sensors to measure the expansion or contraction of the material, or using imaging techniques to track the changes visually.

I would also suggest consulting with other scientists or experts in the field to see if they have any suggestions or techniques that could improve your measurements. Good luck with your research!

1. How is material displacement measured using recorded material thermal data?

Material displacement can be measured using recorded material thermal data by analyzing the changes in temperature at different points on the material. This information can then be used to calculate the amount of displacement that has occurred.

2. What is the accuracy of this method?

The accuracy of measuring material displacement using recorded material thermal data depends on several factors, such as the sensitivity of the thermal recording equipment, the quality of the data collected, and the accuracy of the calculations used. However, with proper calibration and careful analysis, this method can provide highly accurate results.

3. What materials can be measured using this method?

This method can be used to measure displacement in a wide range of materials, including solids, liquids, and gases. It is particularly useful for materials with low thermal conductivity, as they are more sensitive to changes in temperature.

4. Can this method be used for real-time monitoring?

Yes, this method can be used for real-time monitoring as long as the thermal recording equipment is capable of collecting data at a high enough frequency. This allows for the detection of displacement as it occurs and can be useful for monitoring changes over time.

5. Are there any limitations to measuring material displacement using recorded material thermal data?

While this method can provide accurate measurements, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for materials with high thermal conductivity, as the changes in temperature may be difficult to detect. Additionally, external factors such as environmental conditions can affect the accuracy of the measurements.