Books on Electrostatics for IIT Prep

In summary, if you are an electrical engineering student, you should probably choose one of the books mentioned by the other respondents.
imran
can anyone suggest me books on electrostatics and electromagnetism at a graduate level as iam preparing for indian institute of technology (iit).
it would be a great help for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard Graduate Level text is J D Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics. Griffiths is a good book to have too.

Smythe, Static and Dynamic Electricity is good although it does not have any scattering theory. I like Schwingers book also, Stratton is another classic, out of print so long I cannot find a copy anywhere. Jackson is good, but not the best.

Griffiths is becoming the standard at the advanced undergraduate level, although it leaves something to be desired. For my money, I'd teach an advanced Undergraduate course out of Wangsness, constant notation, consistent presentation order between electric and magnetic phenomenon.

the best one is resnik halliday,,but no one book is sufficient ...you have to keep other references too...try kenneth L.kaiser (electrostatic discharge)...a few other gud books are physics by kumar mittal,,h.c. verma,,g.c.agrawal...try UBD physics (a very comprehensive book)...

imran said:
can anyone suggest me books on electrostatics and electromagnetism at a graduate level as iam preparing for indian institute of technology (iit).
it would be a great help for me.

If you are going to be in a physics department then, as others have stated, Jackson is the standard graduate-level book. I am somewhat fond of Stratton as well, which I understand was a physics book of yesteryear.

If you will be in an electrical engineering department, then your choice will be harder, mainly becaus graduate electromagnetic theory books for EEs tend to focus on waves and almost completely ignore statics. For nice discussions of waves I really like "time-harmonic electromagnetic fields" by Harrington; other "typical" books include Balanis' "advanced engineering electromagnetics", "elctromagnetic wave theory" by Kong, and "Electromagnetic Wave Propagation, Radiation, and Scattering" by Ishimaru. One funny thing is that Stratton's topic selection is fairly in-line with what EEs want these days (except for the electromechanical-type stuff in the early chapters).

hey ! actually i completed my 12 exams ,,,and i am taking drop dis year...so it is a requst to u all can u pls telll me which is d best book for electrostatics ...beause i wil be takingevery singe topic n will master it...so i want to know aal d best boos in dis world related to electrostatics...frm ancient books to newer /...pls help me ..i will thankful to u

Franklin "Classical Electromagnetism" has a lot of grad level electrostatics.
There is a cheap paperback version available only in India.

thank u clem...but can u sujjest me more bokks on dis toics frm aund world n of best writters pls

shivamde said:
thank u clem...but can u sujjest me more bokks on dis toics frm aund world n of best writters pls

Please do not use textspeak in posts.

Physics Forums rules, to which everyone agrees when they register,

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380,

in part, state
In the interest of conveying ideas as clearly as possible, posts are required to show reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. SMS messaging shorthand, such as using "u" for "you", is not acceptable.

shivamde said:
hey ! actually i completed my 12 exams ,,,and i am taking drop dis year...so it is a requst to u all can u pls telll me which is d best book for electrostatics ...beause i wil be takingevery singe topic n will master it...so i want to know aal d best boos in dis world related to electrostatics...frm ancient books to newer /...pls help me ..i will thankful to u

Sorry, I'm not aware of any advanced physics books written in your language.

The OP is in the last year of school and wants a book, or so I gather, to prepare for university. He caused some confusion by calling it a 'graduate book', which is not what he wants.

Someone else mentioned Halliday and Resnick, and if you know calculus, I second that.

i doesn't mean books in my lanuge ...but rather rather i mean books of any author ...the main point is to clear the concepts to thr root...i will find that book...but i just want to know the names...n i guess i am finding it on internet but if i could get ur suggestions then it would be great

1. What is electrostatics and why is it important for IIT preparation?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest and their behavior. It is important for IIT preparation because it is a fundamental concept in physics, and many problems in electromagnetism and other related fields rely on understanding electrostatics.

2. What are some good books on electrostatics for IIT preparation?

Some recommended books for electrostatics for IIT preparation include "Concepts of Physics" by HC Verma, "Problems in General Physics" by IE Irodov, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick.

3. Are there any books specifically designed for IIT JEE Main and Advanced preparation?

Yes, there are books such as "Electrostatics for IIT-JEE Main and Advanced" by DC Pandey and "Problems in Electrostatics for IIT-JEE" by Arihant Publications that are designed specifically for IIT JEE Main and Advanced preparation.

4. Do these books cover both theory and practice problems?

Yes, most books on electrostatics for IIT preparation will cover both theory and practice problems. It is important to have a good balance of understanding the concepts and being able to apply them to solve problems.

5. Can I find online resources for electrostatics for IIT preparation?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, practice problems, and study materials available for electrostatics for IIT preparation. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Toppr, and Vedantu. However, it is always recommended to also use textbooks as they provide a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.