What are the properties of time in quantum mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of time in quantum mechanics and whether it exists in multiple quantum states until it is measured. It is argued that time is not an observable but a parameter ordering events and that the introduction of an operator describing time is not mathematically or physically meaningful. This is due to the fact that time must have a continuous spectrum equal to the entire real line, which contradicts the observation that we live in a stable world.
5ymmetrica1
What are the specific properties of time in quantum mechanics?

One thing I have often wondered is,
Does time exist in multiple quantum states until it is measured? IE. is time an unknown variable until the act of measurement is performed by some kind of measuring device? (a sun-dial, a person, a clock, ect.)

-5ym

Physics news on Phys.org
Does time exist in multiple quantum states until it is measured?
You probably refer to a superposition of basis functions used in quantum theory, used for the total wave function. In case the basis is made of normalized Hamiltonian eigenfunctions (harmonic oscillator), this superposition is written as
[tex]
\psi(\mathbf r,t) = \sum_k c_k(t) \Phi_k(\mathbf r) e^{-iE_k t/\hbar}.
[/tex]

In your question you assume that the system can be in multiple quantum states at one time. But this is not a standard understanding of quantum state. In case of the quantum system, we say that its state is described by the function [itex]\psi[/itex]; the fact that it can be expressed as a linear combination of other functions does not mean that the system is in multiple states. This is easy to see from the fact that the above sum is not unique. There are many ways to express wave function as a linear combination of basis functions. The choice of the basis is purely conventional.

This is the same as in classical physics. A bell can vibrate in a complicated way described by the same kind of superposition, but it has definite state at any time.

The time of an event in most of physics is a real number dependent on the inertial system chosen, but usually it is not thought to be some object that can be in a "state".

According to the very foundations of quantum theory, time is (as in classical physics by the way) not an observable but just a parameter ordering events (observations if you wish) according to causality.

I would argue that not only on a formal/mathematical level, but also from a physical perspective, the introduction of an operator describing time is meaningful, even though not textbook-accepted.

dextercioby said:
... also from a physical perspective, the introduction of an operator describing time is meaningful ...
do you have a reference with a reasonable approach?

Well, in string theory it is something you definitely do, but in ordinary QM I wouldn't know of any reference.

there are a lot of references (google: time operator in quantum mechanics), the question is whether they are reasonable ;-)

I was only interested in the mathematical aspect of putting such an operator alongside the other ones we normally use.

There are reasons why time t cannot be promoted to an observable T with [T,H] = i.

Pauli: "we conclude therefore that the introduction of an operator T must be renounced as a matter of principle, and that time t must necessarily be considered as an
ordinary number."

The main problem is that H is both self adjount and bounded from below whereas T has to be self-adjount but with spectrum equals the real line which can be shown to be incompatible with [T,H] = i. There have been ideas to circumvent these objections, but I am not sure about the current status.

tom.stoer said:
The main problem is that H is both self adjount and bounded from below whereas T has to be self-adjount but with spectrum equals the real line which can be shown to be incompatible with [T,H] = i.
Would T be a proper observable, if it was bounded from below? If this was the case, one could at least use handwaving arguments like the big bang as the beginning of time.

Pauli's argument is essentially flawed, since this is non-rigorous (it had been developed before the mathematical theory of unbounded operators in a Hilbert space was created by M.H. Stone and John von Neumann). The mathematical theory has been adressed at length in a thread on Pauli's theorem mentioned in one of my blog items.

As per J. von Neumann's widely accepted reasoning there exists a quantum observable assigned to any linear densly defined (essentially) self-adjoint operator acting on a Hilbert space of pure state representatives.

Yes, and then if time would be an observable, represented by such an essentially self-adjoint operator by definition it would have to fulfill the canonical commutation relation [itex][\hat{T},\hat{H}]=\mathrm{i}[/itex] with the hamiltonian, which is also by definition an essentially self-adjoint operator. Then it is clear that both operators would have the entire real axis [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] as a spectrum, and that contratdicts the assumption (and observation) that we live in a stable world. That's basically Pauli's argument, and I don't see why it should be wrong, even if he as formulated in the manner physicists do and not within the rigorous language of of functional analysis.

[itex][\hat{T},\hat{H}]=\mathrm{i}[/itex]

thanks for all the replies
would you mind explaining this equation in simpler terms if it's possible?, and it's relation to t (time)

I find the discussion incredibly interesting but the math is above my current skill level (just finished high school).

The idea is to introduce T as an operator conjugate to the Hamiltonian H, copying the structure for position x and momentum p.

The momentum operator p generates translations in x, so p is conjugate to x with the well-known commutation relation [x,p] = i.

Of course H generates translations in t, but t is a parameter, not an operator. So one must introduce a new operator T which must be conjugate to H with the same commutation relation, namely [T,H] = i.

The problem is the following:
x (usually) has continuous spectrum equal to the entire real line (there are problems where this is not true!)
p has continuous spectrum equal to the entire real line
T must have continuous spectrum (for t) equal to the entire real line
But H must NOT have a spectrum equal to the entire real line, but the spectrum must be bounded from below

Therefore such an operator T with all the above mentioned properties cannot exist.

@dextercioby: I would be glad to see where exactly Pauli's argument is flawed.

dextercioby said:
This is quite interesting, particularly with Tom Stör's argument since he appears to have forgotten what he himself claimed in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=453676&page=3
I am perfectöly aware about this discussion, but these proposals for T which try to avoid Pauli's obstruction have slightly different properties:
- point spectrum
- spectrum [0,∞)
- non-hermitean T
- non-invariant commutator subspace

So the statement

T must have continuous spectrum (for t) equal to the entire real line
But H must NOT have a spectrum equal to the entire real line, but the spectrum must be bounded from below

Therefore such an operator T with all the above mentioned properties cannot exist.
remains true.

1. What is the concept of time in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, time is considered a fundamental aspect of our universe. It is a continuous and universal quantity that governs the behavior of all physical systems.

2. How is time treated in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, time is treated as a parameter in the equations that describe the evolution of a quantum system. It is not a physical quantity that can be measured, but rather a mathematical tool to understand the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level.

3. Can time be reversed in quantum mechanics?

In classical mechanics, time reversal is a well-defined concept where the direction of time can be reversed without affecting the behavior of a system. However, in quantum mechanics, it is not possible to reverse time because the fundamental laws of quantum mechanics do not exhibit time-reversal symmetry.

4. How does the uncertainty principle relate to time in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa. This also applies to time. The more precisely we know the time at which an event occurs, the less we know about the energy of that event, and vice versa.

5. Can time be entangled with other quantum properties?

Yes, time can be entangled with other quantum properties. In quantum mechanics, entanglement refers to the correlation between two or more particles, where the state of one particle depends on the state of the other. This can also apply to time, where the state of a particle can be entangled with the time at which it is measured.