Find Singular Solution to dy/dx=x(1-y^2)^(1/2)

• Thread starter andrewdavid
  • Start date
In summary, for the differential equation dy/dx=x(1-y^2)^(1/2), there are general solutions that can be derived by separating variables and integrating, but there are also singular solutions that cannot be obtained from the general solution. These singular solutions are found by solving for points where the equation becomes undefined, such as when the term (1-y^2)^(1/2) equals 0. A plot of particular solutions and singular solutions shows that the latter envelop the former.
andrewdavid
Here is the differential equation I have: dy/dx=x(1-y^2)^(1/2) . I'm supposed to find a singular solution to that equation but I'm really not sure how to figure it out. I can separate and integrate it, but then what is the singular solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
andrewdavid said:
Here is the differential equation I have: dy/dx=x(1-y^2)^(1/2) . I'm supposed to find a singular solution to that equation but I'm really not sure how to figure it out. I can separate and integrate it, but then what is the singular solution?

For the equation:
[tex]y^{'}=x\sqrt{1-y^2}[/tex]

As you stated, you can separate variables, integrate, and find y(x). However, some non-linear equations have "other" solutions which are not derived from this general solution. These are called "singular solutions". Note you can divide by the radical assuming it's not zero. If it is zero, then:

[tex]1-y^2=0[/tex]

But if that's so, then what does that tell you y(x) has to be? Well, + or - 1 right? Are those derived from the solution you get when you separate variables and integrate? Singular solutions "envelop" general solutions. Check that out. Plot some examples of the general solutions and the singular solutions and see what I mean.

So how about a plot showing this Andrew? You know a plot really makes this all clear especially to others that may be new to this. I guess if you don't then I'll submit one in a day or so.

Attached is a plot of some examples of particular solutions of:

[tex]y(x)=\sin(\frac{x^2}{2}+c)[/tex]

and the two singular solutions y(x)=1 and y(x)=-1. Note how the singular solutions envelop the particular solutions.

Attachments

• singular.JPG
    singular.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 750

1. What is a singular solution?

A singular solution is a solution to a differential equation that cannot be obtained by solving the equation directly. It is a special solution that arises when the general solution of a differential equation cannot be found by standard methods.

2. How do you find the singular solution to a differential equation?

The process of finding the singular solution to a differential equation involves isolating the variables, setting the derivative equal to zero, and solving for the variables. In the case of the given equation, this would involve setting dy/dx equal to zero and solving for y.

3. Can a differential equation have multiple singular solutions?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple singular solutions. This can occur when there are multiple values of the variables that satisfy the equation when the derivative is set equal to zero.

4. What is the importance of finding the singular solution to a differential equation?

The singular solution provides valuable information about the behavior of the general solution to the differential equation. It can help identify special cases or conditions that may affect the overall solution.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the singular solution to this particular equation?

Yes, for the given equation, the method of separation of variables can be used to find the singular solution. This involves separating the variables and integrating both sides of the equation to solve for y. However, there may be other methods that can also be used to find the singular solution.