Math Games for Mental Calculation: From Doubling Numbers to Determining Products

• Thread starter ToxicBug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games
In summary, the person remembers playing a math game years ago, but cannot remember the specifics. They mention a game where players write down a number that represents the sum of 13, but they are not sure if that is the game they are talking about. Another game involves two players and a neutral person, where the first person to calculate the product of two numbers without using paper or pencil wins. There are other variations of this game that can be played with more than three people.
ToxicBug
I played some sort of a math game a long time ago. It was about making a table with some precise numbers and then writing number under it that represent the sum of 13 or something with the numbers on top, but I really can't remember now since I played it last time was 5 years ago.

So, does anyone know any math games that can be played alone with a pencil and paper when there is nothing to do in class? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
ToxicBug said:
I played some sort of a math game a long time ago. It was about making a table with some precise numbers and then writing number under it that represent the sum of 13 or something with the numbers on top, but I really can't remember now since I played it last time was 5 years ago.

So, does anyone know any math games that can be played alone with a pencil and paper when there is nothing to do in class? :)

We used to play the following game (however it needs two or more players): each player writes down an integer (real) number in his turn. The only restriction - the next number must be greater than the previous one. The one who reaches the infinity first - wins :)))

Hahaha!

I used to play one with my father, you choose an interger 1 - 10 and add it to what the previous person chose (example: I start by choosing 6 and then you decide to choose 5 so so your number would be 11). Continue picking until you reach some designated number, who ever has to say the last number is the loser. Of course you can mathamatically figure out how to win every time, there are just certain numbers you have to hit.

Edit: Sorry that is a two player game. I guess you could find out how to be the winner everytime by yourself.

You'll probably find this "game" really boring, but I think it's fun. Start with 1, then keep doubling the number in your head until you get too high to continue.

If you have at least three people you can play this other "game" - Have a neutral person randomly pick two 4-digit numbers. Of the remaining two people, the first person to correctly determine the product of these two numbers, using no paper, no pencil, just his/her mind wins. I used to do this in math class in high school and found two 4-digit numbers to be about the right level of difficulty. Of course you can invent infinite variations to this.

Pseudopod said:
You'll probably find this "game" really boring, but I think it's fun. Start with 1, then keep doubling the number in your head until you get too high to continue.

If you have at least three people you can play this other "game" - Have a neutral person randomly pick two 4-digit numbers. Of the remaining two people, the first person to correctly determine the product of these two numbers, using no paper, no pencil, just his/her mind wins. I used to do this in math class in high school and found two 4-digit numbers to be about the right level of difficulty. Of course you can invent infinite variations to this.

I used two digit numbers... 4 digit games would last minutes!

1. What are some good math games for kids?

Some popular math games for kids include Math Blaster, Prodigy, and Cool Math Games.

2. Are there any math games that can help improve my child's math skills?

Yes, there are many math games that are specifically designed to help improve math skills, such as Math Playground, SplashLearn, and Math games by Education.com.

3. Are there any free math games available?

Yes, there are many free math games available online, such as Khan Academy, Math Game Time, and Math-Play.com.

4. Can math games be used for all ages?

There are math games available for all ages, from preschoolers to adults. Some games may be more suitable for certain age groups, so it's important to choose a game that is appropriate for your child's skill level.

5. Are there any math games that can be played offline?

Yes, there are many math games that can be played offline, such as board games like Monopoly or card games like Uno. Additionally, many apps and websites offer offline mode options for their math games.