Summing Infinite Series: A Shortcut Using Differentiation

In summary, to find the term \frac{1728}{485}S in the given infinite series summation S=1^2+\frac{3^2}{5^2}+\frac{5^2}{5^4}+\frac{7^2}{5^6}+..., the formula for the (r+1)th term of the series is used to manipulate the series into a form that can be solved using known summation formulas. This includes using the sum of an Arithmetic-Geometric Series and utilizing calculus to find the sum of the series. The final result is 5, as confirmed by Wolfram|Alpha.
AGNuke
Gold Member
Given S, an Infinite Series Summation, find [itex]\frac{1728}{485}S[/itex]
[tex]S=1^2+\frac{3^2}{5^2}+\frac{5^2}{5^4}+\frac{7^2}{5^6}+...[/tex]
I found out the formula for (r+1)th term of the series, hence making the series as[tex]S=1+\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{(2r+1)^2}{(5^r)^2}[/tex]
Now I have a hard time guessing what to do from now on. I expanded the numerator in summation series, 4r2 + 4r + 1. This formed the GP and AGP series (from 1 and 4r respectively). Now all that is left is to find the summation of 4r2/52r.

By the way, I entered the series up at Wolfram|Alpha and the answer it showed is 5, which is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
There might be a direct way, but here is an indirect way:

$$\sum_{r=1}^\infty \frac{r^2}{5^{2r}}\\
= \frac{1}{25} + \sum_{r=2}^\infty \frac{r^2}{5^{2r}}\\
= \frac{1}{25} + \sum_{r=1}^\infty \frac{(r+1)^2}{5^{2(r+1)}}\\
= \frac{1}{25} + \frac{1}{25}\sum_{r=1}^\infty \frac{r^2+2r+1}{5^{2r}}\\
= \frac{1}{25} \left(1+\sum_{r=1}^\infty \frac{2r+1}{5^{2r}}\right) + \frac{1}{25}\sum_{r=1}^\infty \frac{r^2}{5^{2r}}$$

Likes 1 person
AGNuke said:
Given S, an Infinite Series Summation, find [itex]\frac{1728}{485}S[/itex]
[tex]S=1^2+\frac{3^2}{5^2}+\frac{5^2}{5^4}+\frac{7^2}{5^6}+...[/tex]
I found out the formula for (r+1)th term of the series, hence making the series as[tex]S=1+\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{(2r+1)^2}{(5^r)^2}[/tex]
Now I have a hard time guessing what to do from now on. I expanded the numerator in summation series, 4r2 + 4r + 1. This formed the GP and AGP series (from 1 and 4r respectively). Now all that is left is to find the summation of 4r2/52r.

By the way, I entered the series up at Wolfram|Alpha and the answer it showed is 5, which is correct.

If you do know calculus, that summation would be a standard homework exercise. If
[tex] S(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x^n,[/tex]
then
[tex] x\frac{d}{dx} S(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n x^n \\
x \frac{d}{dx} \left[ x\frac{d}{dx} S(x) \right] = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n^2 x^n [/tex]
You can find ##S(x)## in closed form, so you can do all the calculations explicitly. Then, of course, you set x = 1/5.

Solution

Thanks MFB. I think I got it.:approve: Here's the solution.[tex]S=1+4\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{r^2}{5^{2r}}+4\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{r}{5^{2r}}+\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{5^{2r}}[/tex]I can find the sum of an Arithmetic-Geometric Series, hence[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{r}{5^{2r}}=\frac{25}{576}[/tex]The Sum of third term, which is a simple Geometric Series,is[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{5^{2r}}=\frac{1}{24}[/tex]The Problem was the first term, which I happened to resolve thanks to MFB.

MFB said:
[tex]\sum_{r=1}^\infty \frac{r^2}{5^{2r}}=\frac{1}{25} \left(1+\sum_{r=1}^\infty \frac{2r+1}{5^{2r}}\right) + \frac{1}{25}\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{r^2}{5^{2r}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{24}{25}\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{r^2}{5^{2r}}=\frac{1}{25}\left(1+2\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{r}{5^{2r}}+\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{5^{2r}}\right)[/tex][tex]\Rightarrow 4\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{r^2}{5^{2r}}=\frac{1}{6}\left(1+2\times \frac{25}{576}+\frac{1}{24}\right)=\frac{325}{576}[/tex]Substituting All the known variables into the First Equation,[tex]S=\frac{1728}{1728}+\frac{325}{1728}+\frac{300}{1728}+\frac{72}{1728}= \frac{2425}{1728}[/tex][tex]\Rightarrow \frac{1728}{485}S=\frac{1728}{485}\times \frac{2425}{1728}=5[/tex]
Ray Vickson said:
If you do know calculus, that summation would be a standard homework...

...You can find ##S(x)## in closed form, so you can do all the calculations explicitly. Then, of course, you set x = 1/5.

While I do know Calculus, I can only solve them when there is that Integral Sign all over, or in physics. Using it in this manipulative way is not something I've done before. But still, if you could show me what you actually meant, I can learn something, as I need to brace myself for my College Entrance Exam, The IIT-JEE which is only a week apart. So, a little more help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
AGNuke said:
Thanks MFB. I think I got it.:approve: Here's the solution.[tex]S=1+4\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{r^2}{5^{2r}}+4\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{r}{5^{2r}}+\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{5^{2r}}[/tex]I can find the sum of an Arithmetic-Geometric Series, hence[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{r}{5^{2r}}=\frac{25}{576}[/tex]The Sum of third term, which is a simple Geometric Series,is[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{5^{2r}}=\frac{1}{24}[/tex]The Problem was the first term, which I happened to resolve thanks to MFB.

[tex]\frac{24}{25}\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{r^2}{5^{2r}}=\frac{1}{25}\left(1+2\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{r}{5^{2r}}+\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{5^{2r}}\right)[/tex][tex]\Rightarrow 4\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}\frac{r^2}{5^{2r}}=\frac{1}{6}\left(1+2\times \frac{25}{576}+\frac{1}{24}\right)=\frac{325}{576}[/tex]Substituting All the known variables into the First Equation,[tex]S=\frac{1728}{1728}+\frac{325}{1728}+\frac{300}{1728}+\frac{72}{1728}= \frac{2425}{1728}[/tex][tex]\Rightarrow \frac{1728}{485}S=\frac{1728}{485}\times \frac{2425}{1728}=5[/tex]

While I do know Calculus, I can only solve them when there is that Integral Sign all over, or in physics. Using it in this manipulative way is not something I've done before. But still, if you could show me what you actually meant, I can learn something, as I need to brace myself for my College Entrance Exam, The IIT-JEE which is only a week apart. So, a little more help will be appreciated.

What I mean is just exactly what I said:
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n x^n = x \frac{d}{dx} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x^n
= x \frac{d}{dx} \frac{x}{1-x} = \frac{x}{(1-x)^2}[/tex]
and
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n^2 x^n = x \frac{d}{dx} \frac{x}{(1-x)^2}.[/tex]
You can just go ahead and do the derivative.

Likes 2 people
OK Thanks! Now I see... Thanks a bunch. I was forgetting the fact that S is the sum of an infinite converging GP.

Last edited:
Now then this is alternate solution to find that term which was bothering me, courtesy Ray Vickson :approve:
[tex]S=\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}x^{r}=\frac{x}{1-x}[/tex][tex]x\frac{\mathrm{d} S}{\mathrm{d} x}=\frac{x}{(1-x)^2}[/tex][tex]x\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}\left (x\frac{\mathrm{d} S}{\mathrm{d} x} \right )=\frac{x(1+x)}{(1-x)^3}=\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}r^2x^r[/tex]

Simply substituting ##x=\frac{1}{25}##, I got ##\frac{325}{1728\times 4}##, and multiplying it by 4 (as required) gives ##\frac{325}{1728}## which is the term I required.

Really Interesting using differentiation to find the summation so easily. I definitely will try this method in further question I will attempt. :rolleyes:

What is an infinite series summation?

An infinite series summation is the process of adding up an infinite number of terms in a sequence to find the overall sum. It is often represented using the sigma notation: Σ (sum) followed by the expression for the terms and the range of values to be summed.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite series summation?

A finite series summation has a limited number of terms, while an infinite series summation has an unlimited number of terms. In other words, a finite series has a specific end point, while an infinite series does not.

What are some examples of infinite series summation?

Some examples of infinite series summation are the geometric series (where each term is multiplied by a common ratio) and the harmonic series (where each term is the reciprocal of a natural number).

How is the convergence or divergence of an infinite series summation determined?

The convergence or divergence of an infinite series summation can be determined by evaluating the limit of the sequence of partial sums. If the limit exists and is a finite number, the series is said to be convergent. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, the series is said to be divergent.

What are some real-world applications of infinite series summation?

Infinite series summation has applications in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, it is used in calculating the area under a curve, determining the value of pi, and solving differential equations. It is also used in practical applications such as financial calculations and computer algorithms.