Looking at buying the 8.9 kindle fire

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire
In summary, the Kindle Fire is a good device for online browsing, listening to music, and reading books, but its interface is difficult to use and its battery may not last long.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Does anyone have one? I am looking at buying the 8.9 version , what are they like for surfing the net, forums etc, any other features that are notable?
what are they selling for in $US, thanks for any info i do not want to get burnt on a useless toy.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've got a kindle fire. All I really do is listen to Pandora on it and a small amount of web browsing.
Of course, part of the reason is that I hate the interface. I've had it for like 2 years now and I still don't really know how to get to the files I download. (Seriously, the interface is horrid)

Also, if I remember correctly, my Fire is not able to connect through Wifi to things like my cell phone thanks to Amazon wanting me to use their dumb Amazon Prime or whatever.

All in all I can't recommend it unless they're 8.9" is much different from mine.

It's a great price and I'd get one if I weren't already in bed with Apple.

bah, my Fire just broke. Let's see how good Amazon customer service is. I want a replacement.

Greg Bernhardt said:
bah, my Fire just broke. Let's see how good Amazon customer service is. I want a replacement.
Broke? What happened? I have the free repair and replacement even if I drop it into the toilet, dog eats it, etc... But I want to know what you encountered.

Evo said:
Broke? What happened? I have the free repair and replacement even if I drop it into the toilet, dog eats it, etc... But I want to know what you encountered.

I just opened it up one night and it started to turn off when it became unlocked. It just shut off. I think the battery went bad. Even when I connect it to an outlet. It always shuts off after I put in my pass code.

My wife got the fire some time back when her original Kindle died and she tells me she wished she had just gotten another basic one. She doesn't like the fire but, sorry, I can't remember why. Hm ... I'm not being very helpful here, am I :smile:

Weird, I hadn't used my Kidle Fire HD 8.9 in a couple of weeks, turned it on tonight, unlocked it, it blinked and powered off. WTH? Then a box appeared with "KindleFire" in it, then after a moment, a message "KindleFire is upgrading". After a couple of minutes it shut off again and is fine now. Maybe your update got corrupted?

Evo said:
Weird, I hadn't used my Kidle Fire HD 8.9 in a couple of weeks, turned it on tonight, unlocked it, it blinked and powered off. WTH? Then a box appeared with "KindleFire" in it, then after a moment, a message "KindleFire is upgrading". After a couple of minutes it shut off again and is fine now. Maybe your update got corrupted?

That is exactly my situation. Except mine doesn't get fine, it always shuts down after 10-15 seconds. I'm calling Amazon tomorrow.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Amazon is sending me a new Kindle Fire.

Nice.

Awesome, was it still under warranty? Or did they just do the right thing?

Evo said:
Awesome, was it still under warranty? Or did they just do the right thing?

They didn't even mention it, I think they just did the "right" thing. Two day shipping too.

That's encouraging. I'd heard that they were doing things like this to keep feedback positive. Smart move. The damage bad reviews could do far outweigh their cost to replace when one goes bad for whatever reason.

What is the battery life of the 8.9 kindle fire?

The battery life of the 8.9 kindle fire can vary depending on usage and settings. However, on average, it can last up to 10 hours of continuous use.

Can I download apps on the 8.9 kindle fire?

Yes, the 8.9 kindle fire has access to the Amazon App Store where you can download various apps for entertainment, productivity, and more.

Is the 8.9 kindle fire waterproof?

No, the 8.9 kindle fire is not waterproof. It is recommended to keep it away from water and other liquids to prevent damage.

What is the storage capacity of the 8.9 kindle fire?

The 8.9 kindle fire comes with different storage options, ranging from 16GB to 64GB. However, it also has a microSD card slot for additional storage.

Can I read books on the 8.9 kindle fire?

Yes, the 8.9 kindle fire is primarily designed for reading and has access to the Amazon bookstore where you can purchase and download ebooks.