Physics, Neuroscience, and Cognitive Sciences

Remember, your background in physics can be an asset in this field, so don't let it hold you back.In summary, the individual is seeking advice on choosing a PhD program and advisor for studying mathematical models of the mind. They have a background in physics but are interested in cognitive science and decision theory. The expert advises them to not worry about their background and suggests identifying top universities and reaching out to potential advisors directly to discuss interests and research. They also recommend focusing on the research and courses offered rather than the department, and reaching out to others who have made similar field changes for advice.
lndemenos1
Hi!

I'm looking for help to choose a Phd program and find possible advisors for next year. I'm interested in studying mathematical models of the mind, including decision theory and neural networks. I've been doing research in the possible programs but I find myself lost amog them.

My first "problem" (actually a difference) is that I'm a physicist. I have Bs. in physics and I'm current enrolled in a Physics Master's program (both in a top university in brazil). However, I'm interested in mathematical models of cognition and decision making (for example, what happens in the brain when we see a paradoxical image or what makes we take some actions and not others), and I see that some people study these subjects in different departmens, and not all universities offer this mathematical approach that I want.

I saw some threads in which people discuss the advantages and problems of changing fiels at this point, but I'm decided to change. But I would like some advice from people who did the same I'm doing now about how to find a good program and advisor. Can you guys help me? How did you choose a "mathematical" program in this field, since many of them focus in biology, psycology and even linguistics? I should say that I'm really interested in these fields, but I do not have the background for all of them.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, congratulations on your decision to pursue a PhD in mathematical models of the mind! It's a fascinating and rapidly growing field, and I'm sure you'll find it both challenging and rewarding.

As a scientist who also made a field change during my academic career, I completely understand your concerns and questions. My first piece of advice would be to not worry too much about your background in physics. While it may seem like a disadvantage at first, I believe it can actually be a strength in this field. Many of the mathematical models used in cognitive science and decision theory are based on principles from physics, so your understanding of these principles can give you a unique perspective and set you apart from other candidates.

In terms of finding a good program and advisor, my suggestion would be to start by identifying the top universities and research institutions that have a strong focus on mathematical models of the mind. You can do this by looking at recent publications in this field, attending conferences and workshops, and reaching out to other researchers in the field for recommendations. Once you have a list of potential programs and advisors, I would recommend reaching out to them directly to discuss your interests and background. This will not only help you get a better understanding of their research and program, but also give you a chance to see if you have a good rapport with the potential advisor.

In terms of choosing a "mathematical" program in this field, my advice would be to focus on the research and courses offered by the program rather than the department it falls under. Many universities have interdisciplinary programs that combine mathematics, psychology, biology, linguistics, and other fields to study the mind. These programs may not be housed in a specific department, but they offer a more comprehensive and mathematical approach to studying the mind.

Lastly, don't be afraid to reach out to other scientists and students who have made similar field changes. They can offer valuable insights and advice based on their own experiences. Best of luck in your search for a PhD program and advisor!

1. What is the difference between physics, neuroscience, and cognitive sciences?

Physics is the study of matter and energy and how they interact with each other. Neuroscience is the study of the nervous system and the brain, while cognitive sciences focus on understanding how the mind processes information and how it affects behavior.

2. How do physics, neuroscience, and cognitive sciences intersect?

All three fields are closely related and often intersect in their research. For example, physicists may study the physical properties of the brain in order to better understand its functions, while neuroscientists and cognitive scientists may use physics principles to study brain activity and cognitive processes.

3. What are some practical applications of physics, neuroscience, and cognitive sciences?

The knowledge gained from these fields has led to numerous practical applications in our everyday lives. Physics has helped us develop technologies such as computers and smartphones, while neuroscience has contributed to advancements in medicine and treatments for neurological disorders. Cognitive sciences have also played a role in improving education and understanding human behavior.

4. How are these fields important in our understanding of the world?

Physics allows us to understand the fundamental laws of the universe and how everything in it works, while neuroscience and cognitive sciences help us understand the complexities of the human brain and mind. Together, these fields help us gain a deeper understanding of the world around us and our place in it.

5. What are some current research topics in physics, neuroscience, and cognitive sciences?

Some current research topics in these fields include quantum mechanics, brain-computer interfaces, neuroplasticity, artificial intelligence, and the neural basis of consciousness. These fields are constantly evolving and new research topics are emerging as technology and our understanding of the brain and mind advances.