Bending stress due to 2 bending moments in different planes

In summary, it is recommended to calculate the resultant moment and then use it to compute the bending stresses for a circular cross section, as it is easier and more efficient.
julian89
Physics news on Phys.org
IMO, it's probably a little easier to calculate the bending stresses for each moment and add them together, especially if this is your first problem dealing with moments about different axes. The bending stresses add directly.

julian89 said:
Or [do I] take the resultant vector and calculate stresses with the new moment?
julian89: Only because you have a circular cross section, it is much easier (and therefore better) to compute the resultant moment, as you described here, and then compute stress with the resultant moment.

What is bending stress due to 2 bending moments in different planes?

Bending stress due to 2 bending moments in different planes is the stress that occurs in a beam or structure when it is subjected to two bending moments acting in different planes. This type of stress is also known as combined bending stress.

How does bending stress due to 2 bending moments in different planes affect a structure?

Bending stress due to 2 bending moments in different planes can cause the structure to experience twisting or warping, which can lead to failure or collapse if the stress exceeds the material's strength. It is important to consider this type of stress in structural design to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.

What factors contribute to bending stress due to 2 bending moments in different planes?

The magnitude and direction of the two bending moments, as well as the shape and material properties of the structure, all contribute to the bending stress. The distance between the bending moments and the cross-sectional shape of the structure also play a role in determining the amount of stress.

How is bending stress due to 2 bending moments in different planes calculated?

Bending stress due to 2 bending moments in different planes can be calculated using the formula σ = M1*c1/I1 + M2*c2/I2, where σ is the bending stress, M1 and M2 are the bending moments, c1 and c2 are the distances from the neutral axis to the points where the moments act, and I1 and I2 are the moments of inertia of the structure in each plane.

What are some methods for reducing bending stress due to 2 bending moments in different planes?

One way to reduce bending stress is to increase the stiffness of the structure by using thicker or stronger materials, increasing the distance between the bending moments, or changing the cross-sectional shape of the structure. Another method is to use structural components such as beams or trusses to redistribute the bending moments and reduce the overall stress on the structure.