Acceleration Calculation: 8s to 12s, 64m

• Thread starter Gadget
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curiosity
In summary, without knowing the start velocity, end velocity, or acceleration, it is impossible to determine the acceleration of the car in this scenario. The time to cover a specific distance only provides the average speed, but to find acceleration, at least three variables are needed. These variables include displacement, start velocity, end velocity, change in time, and acceleration. Without enough information, it is impossible to answer the question accurately.
Gadget
I have a question just out of curiosity, say that a car is driving along and as it travels, I start to measure the distance from when the car has traveled 8 seconds to 12 seconds, and find out that it is 64 meters. I do not know the distance it traveled before I started to measure(ie. before the 64 meters). What is my acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's impossible to say.

You could have been traveling with constant velocity (acceleration=0), and covered 64 metres in those 4 seconds (at 16m/s) or you could have been accelerating with uniform acceleration of 8m/s^2 from 0m/s to 32m/s, or in fact anything in between.

You don't have enough information to answer your question.

The time to cover a specific distance will tell you your average speed but you would need another interval, to get a different speed, to find an average acceleration.

In any of the basic kinematics equations you need at least three variables to solve for the rest of them. For example, you give only the displacement and the change in time. When I took Gen Physics, what helped me was to list everything the equation gives you, and if you have at least three of them you are good to go.

displacement (x_f - x_i)
start velocity (v_i)
end velocity (v_f)
change in time (t)
acceleration (a)

What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

What is the change in velocity in the given scenario?

The change in velocity in this scenario is 64m, as stated in the question.

What is the change in time in the given scenario?

The change in time in this scenario is 4s, as the time changes from 8s to 12s.

How do you calculate acceleration from the given information?

To calculate acceleration, divide the change in velocity (64m) by the change in time (4s). The resulting value is 16m/s².

What are the units of measurement for acceleration?

The units of measurement for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s²) or meters per second per second (m/s/s).