Understanding Transverse Wave Pulses

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt at solving a problem regarding the dimensions of a pulse's movement. The initial answer chosen was incorrect due to the incorrect dimensions of the equation. The person in need of help considers the dimensions of another answer and submits it, resulting in the correct solution. They also discuss the role of the negative sign in the equation indicating the direction of the pulse's movement.
bilals

Homework Statement

whichone.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution

i thought it was number one...as we have -4.5m/s in the equation indicating that the pulse is moving in the negative direction.. i submitted the answer.unfortunately it was incorrect..

Can you help me with this..if possible.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about number 7? The dimensions are wrong in number one, because you have [itex]x^2 - vt[/itex], so [itex]x^2[/itex] has units of [itex](ms^{-1})^2[/itex] and vt units of [itex]ms^{-1}[/itex].

Thank you Nylex for ur help...i submitted the answer (number 7)but...--->its wrong.
i thought again about the dimensions..i found that number two also has correct dimensions. i submitted it..and its correct.
my reasoning (not sure if it's correct)..that the negative outside the bracket when multiplied but +4.5t,becomes negative ..indicating the negative direction of the pulse.

Correct solution (Number 2)

Last edited:

What is a transverse wave pulse?

A transverse wave pulse is a type of mechanical wave that causes the particles in the medium to vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation.

How is a transverse wave pulse different from a longitudinal wave?

A transverse wave pulse moves perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation, while a longitudinal wave moves parallel to the direction of the wave's propagation.

What factors affect the speed of a transverse wave pulse?

The speed of a transverse wave pulse is affected by the tension, density, and thickness of the medium through which it travels.

How does a transverse wave pulse behave when it encounters a boundary?

When a transverse wave pulse encounters a boundary, it can be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed depending on the properties of the boundary and the medium.

What are some real-life examples of transverse wave pulses?

Some common examples of transverse wave pulses include light waves, water waves, and seismic waves.