How hard is learning maths without specific maths classes?

In summary: There are a number of options for additional mathematics depending on your interests and needs. Check out the website linked in the summary for more information.In summary, the physics degree at the university I am going to has very little of the math that I thought is needed for physics, which is slightly concerning. However, I'm doubtful that doing a joint degree with math classes would be more beneficial than just doing the physics degree.
BHL 20
I'm going to university next year and I'm strongly considering doing physics. however the I'm slightly concerned because the physics degree at the uni I am going to has very little of the math that i thought is needed for physics. to illustrate my point, in the course there are no PDEs, diff geometry, group theory or functional analysis , etc. and you can only do one out of linear algebra or ODEs. i know that many phys students who don't do a lot of math just pick up what they need in the physics classes. but how hard is that to do? would it not be difficult to understand if you're just learning the applications but not the theory behind it?
The university also offers a physics and math joint degree but I am reluctant to do that as it contains many math classes which are meant solely for maths students and may not actually be useful. also as a consequence i would have to take much less physics classes. i would like to know might this degree actually be more worthwhile to do than just the physics one?
thank you, and please reply

BTW, i don't live in the us. I am not sure what the system there is like but from what I've heard there is huge freedom in the classes one can take there (and it's possible to do 4 degrees at once!). i just want to inform anyone answering it's not like that here, everyone has to take a set number of credits each year, and in most circumstances i'd say it's impossible to take more.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you want to go hardcore theory you don't really need much more math than you pick up along the way, save for the calculus and linear algebra sequences. I don't think it iwll be a big problem. You can always read math books during your free time.

Are you sure that you can only choose one of linear algebra and ODEs, and that PDEs aren't covered? I find this very difficult to believe. Are there required courses called Mathematical Methods or Mathematical Physics?

Last edited:
George Jones said:
Are you sure that you can only choose one of linear algebra and ODEs, and that PDEs aren't covered?

yes I'm certain, though there is a class on multivariable calculus which might cover some of the basics for PDEs.

George Jones said:
I find this very difficult to believe. Are there required courses called Mathematical Methods or Mathematical Physics?

no, there are no general courses like that available.

Do you mind giving the name of the university? I am curious about its program, and I would like to take a look.

There is a difference between what is required by a program, what can or is advised to be taken in a program.

The Physics webpage lists various possibilities.

http://www.physics.ucc.ie/undergrad.html

Scroll down to "BSc in Physics" and click on "Click to view information on this course". Look carefully at the course descriptions for the various courses in the various options. It looks like there is a fair amount of mathematics available.

If you want even more mathematics, you might also do the same for "BSc in Mathematics & Physics"

Have you looked at The University of Limerick B.Sc in Mathematics and Physics?

Darth Frodo said:
Have you looked at The University of Limerick B.Sc in Mathematics and Physics?

Yes, but i want to stay in cork at least for my undergraduate studies.

Ah ok. If you're worried about not enough mathematical rigor why not do MAthematics and Physics in UCC?

Darth Frodo said:
Ah ok. If you're worried about not enough mathematical rigor why not do MAthematics and Physics in UCC?

this was exactly the point of my question; i was asking whether that might be better.

1. How important are specific math classes for learning math?

Specific math classes can be very helpful for learning math, as they provide a structured and comprehensive curriculum that covers a wide range of concepts and skills. However, it is possible to learn math without taking specific math classes, as long as you have access to resources and are willing to put in the time and effort to practice and understand the concepts.

2. What are the challenges of learning math without specific math classes?

One of the main challenges of learning math without specific math classes is the lack of a structured curriculum. This means that you may miss out on important concepts and skills that are typically covered in a formal math class. Additionally, it can be challenging to find reliable and comprehensive resources on your own.

3. Can self-study be an effective way to learn math without specific math classes?

Yes, self-study can be an effective way to learn math without specific math classes. However, it requires discipline, motivation, and access to quality resources. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a tutor or mentor who can provide feedback and help you stay on track.

4. Is it possible to excel in math without taking specific math classes?

Yes, it is possible to excel in math without taking specific math classes. Many mathematicians and scientists have learned math through self-study and have gone on to have successful careers in their fields. However, it may be more challenging and require more dedication and effort compared to learning in a formal classroom setting.

5. How can I supplement my learning of math without taking specific math classes?

There are many ways to supplement your learning of math without taking specific math classes. You can use online resources such as Khan Academy, attend workshops or seminars, join study groups or clubs, or seek guidance from a tutor or mentor. It is also important to practice regularly and seek help when you encounter difficulties.