Pressure increase in a closed system

In summary: S, an expert in the field, suggests that for water, the coefficient of thermal volume expansion is approximately 210 × 10^-6 per degree Celsius. This means that for every degree Celsius increase in temperature, the volume of water would expand by 210 × 10^-6 cm^3/cm^3. This expansion would result in an increase in pressure, determined by the bulk modulus of water which is approximately 2.2 × 10^9 Pa. Therefore, for every degree Celsius increase in temperature, the pressure in the pipe would increase by 2.2 × 10^9 Pa. In summary, for a fully filled pipe with water, the pressure would increase by 2.2 × 10^
DarkF1ame
Hello All,

I work in the refrigeration industry, and I'm trying to put a hard number on a hypothetical situation. The situation is a lapse in SOP and liquid gets trapped in a line. For this hypothetical situation the line is 100% full. What would the increase in pressure be per degree?

I know that the density (g/cm3) goes down as temperature is increased. So with a fixed mass, the cm3 number must go up to lower the overall density, but since the scenario is 100% full, my brain tells me that energy is getting transmitted into the pipe walls as pressure since it can't physically expand any more. What I can't figure out is how to enumerate that pressure gain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For this example, the trapped liquid in the pipe is water.

Thanks,

Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
DarkF1ame said:
Hello All,

I work in the refrigeration industry, and I'm trying to put a hard number on a hypothetical situation. The situation is a lapse in SOP and liquid gets trapped in a line. For this hypothetical situation the line is 100% full. What would the increase in pressure be per degree?

I know that the density (g/cm3) goes down as temperature is increased. So with a fixed mass, the cm3 number must go up to lower the overall density, but since the scenario is 100% full, my brain tells me that energy is getting transmitted into the pipe walls as pressure since it can't physically expand any more. What I can't figure out is how to enumerate that pressure gain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For this example, the trapped liquid in the pipe is water.

Thanks,

Scott
If the pipe is rigid so that it doesn't expand, then first you calculate how much the water would expand if it were not constrained (volumetric strain). This is determined by its coefficient of thermal volume expansion. Then you calculate how much pressure would be required to remove that same amount of volumetric strain. This would be determined by the bulk modulus of the fluid.

Chet

1. How does pressure increase in a closed system?

In a closed system, pressure increases when the volume of the system decreases. This is due to the particles inside the system being compressed into a smaller space, causing them to collide more frequently and with greater force, resulting in an overall increase in pressure.

2. What factors affect the increase of pressure in a closed system?

The two main factors that affect the increase of pressure in a closed system are temperature and volume. As temperature increases, the particles inside the system gain more energy and move faster, resulting in more collisions and a higher pressure. Similarly, as volume decreases, the particles are forced into a smaller space, causing more collisions and a higher pressure.

3. How can we calculate the increase in pressure in a closed system?

The increase in pressure in a closed system can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to the number of particles, temperature, and volume of the system. This can be expressed as P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume, respectively.

4. What happens if the pressure in a closed system continues to increase?

If the pressure in a closed system continues to increase, it can eventually reach a point where the container or vessel holding the system cannot withstand the force and may rupture. This can result in a dangerous release of gas or liquid, causing potential harm to the surrounding environment or individuals.

5. How can we control or regulate the pressure increase in a closed system?

To control or regulate the pressure increase in a closed system, one can adjust the temperature or volume of the system. By increasing the volume or decreasing the temperature, the pressure inside the system will decrease, and vice versa. Additionally, using safety valves or pressure regulators can help prevent the pressure from exceeding safe levels in a closed system.