Project which involve a falling water droplet

In summary, the conversation is discussing a project involving a falling water droplet on dry and wet surfaces, and the effect of the splash on water separation. There is a need to find the droplet size using the information of the needle diameter and water tension. The conversation also mentions the use of formulas and a helpful website, and the speaker also asks for assistance in solving the problem.
blue_moon
I am working on this project which involve a falling water droplet on both dry and wet surfaces to figure out how is the splash is going to affect the water separation however, I have to find out the droplet size providing this info

1) Needle diameter
2) Water tension

please help , if there is any derivation or formula that includes the tension and the needle diameter or whatever would help solving this problem?

thanks in advance,
Blue

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I founf this I am stuck I have no Idea how to get the droplet size or diameter from the relation below :

for the droplet to detach from the needle tip, gravity has to overcome the surface
tension. so when mg exceeds the interfacial tension at the release point the drop will
fall.
the interfacial tension is: surface tension x 2*pi*r where r is the needle radius.
Water at 20°C has a surface tension of 72.8 dynes/cm...

1. How does the size of the water droplet affect its falling speed?

The size of the water droplet does not directly affect its falling speed. However, larger droplets may experience more air resistance, causing them to fall slower than smaller droplets.

2. What factors influence the trajectory of a falling water droplet?

The trajectory of a falling water droplet is influenced by several factors, including gravity, air resistance, wind, and any external forces acting on the droplet.

3. How does the height from which a water droplet is dropped affect its velocity?

The height from which a water droplet is dropped does not directly affect its velocity. However, as the droplet falls, it will gain kinetic energy and increase in velocity due to the force of gravity.

4. Can the shape of a water droplet affect its falling behavior?

Yes, the shape of a water droplet can affect its falling behavior. A droplet with a more streamlined shape may experience less air resistance and fall faster than a droplet with a more irregular shape.

5. How does the surface tension of water impact the falling behavior of a droplet?

The surface tension of water can impact the falling behavior of a droplet by causing it to maintain a spherical shape as it falls. This can also affect the droplet's resistance to air, potentially increasing its falling speed.