Rotational Pressure & Paraboloidal Liquid Surface

In summary, the liquid surface in a rotating cylindrical container takes on a paraboloidal form due to the pressure on the outside of the cylinder. By integrating the given variation of pressure, the formula P = (density*w^2*R^2)/2 + C is derived. The curvature of the surface is determined by the balance of forces on a drop of liquid at the surface, including gravitational and centrifugal forces, resulting in a normal force N that determines the slope of the surface. From this, the equation for the vertical cross section of the surface is obtained as y = (w^2*R^2)/2g.
chouZ
A fluid mass is rotating at constant angular velocity, w, about the central vertical axis of a cylindrical container. The variation of pressure in the radial direction is given by:
dP/dR= (density)*w^2*R

Show that the liquid surface is a paraboloidal form; that is a vertical cross section of the surface is the curve y = (w^2*R^2)/2g

MY ATTEMPT:
Since the form of the liquid surface is due to the pressure on the outside of the cylinder, making the liquid level high there. My idea is to find the pressure. So I integrated the variation of pressure given and found:

P = (<density>*w^2*R^2)/2 + C

I try all what possible for me to try to get the y given above but I cant..i don't know how to bring g (the gravitational acceleration)..anybody has any idea?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine a drop of liquid at the surface. What forces are acting on it? You know it's being pulled on by a gravitational force G and a centrifugal force C. Those two don't cancel each other, so there must be a third force that's equal in magnitude and oppositely directed to the vector sum G+C. This is the normal force N. It's perpendicular to the surface. This means that if you know G and C, you can calculate the direction of N, and the slope dy/dr of the surface. You should be able to figure out the rest.

I would like to clarify that the equation provided in the prompt, dP/dR = (density)*w^2*R, is actually the Euler's equation for a rotating fluid, which describes the variation of pressure in the radial direction for a fluid mass rotating at a constant angular velocity w. This equation is derived from the Navier-Stokes equations and is widely used in fluid dynamics.

To show that the liquid surface is a paraboloidal form, we can start by considering the forces acting on the fluid mass. Since the fluid is rotating at a constant angular velocity, there is a centrifugal force acting outward. This force is given by Fc = m*w^2*R, where m is the mass of the fluid element and R is the distance from the central vertical axis. This force is balanced by the pressure gradient force, given by dP/dR.

Now, let's assume that the fluid surface is at a constant height, h, from the bottom of the cylindrical container. This means that the pressure at the surface is also constant, P0. Using this information, we can rewrite the pressure gradient equation as dP/dR = (P0-P)/h, where P is the pressure at a certain depth, h-R, from the surface.

Substituting this into the Euler's equation, we get (P0-P)/h = (density)*w^2*R. Solving for P and substituting it back into the pressure gradient equation, we get dP/dR = (density)*w^2*R - (density)*w^2*R^2/h. This can be simplified to dP/dR = (density)*w^2*(R-h/2).

Now, we can integrate this equation to get the pressure as a function of R: P = (density)*w^2*(R^2/2 - h*R + C). Since the pressure at the surface is constant, we can set C = P0. Therefore, the equation for pressure becomes P = (density)*w^2*(R^2/2 - h*R + P0).

We can now use this equation to find the shape of the liquid surface. The surface of the fluid is at constant pressure, P0, so we can set the equation equal to P0 and solve for R. This gives us R = h/2, which is a constant value. This means that the surface of the fluid is

1. What is rotational pressure?

Rotational pressure is the force exerted on a liquid surface due to its rotation around a central axis. It is caused by the centrifugal force acting on the liquid particles, resulting in an outward pressure on the surface.

2. How does rotational pressure affect a paraboloidal liquid surface?

Rotational pressure causes a paraboloidal liquid surface to become curved, with the highest point at the center of rotation and gradually decreasing towards the edges. This is due to the unequal distribution of rotational pressure on the surface.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of rotational pressure on a liquid surface?

The magnitude of rotational pressure on a liquid surface is influenced by the speed of rotation, the density of the liquid, and the radius of the container holding the liquid. The greater the speed of rotation and the denser the liquid, the higher the rotational pressure will be.

4. How is rotational pressure measured?

Rotational pressure can be measured using a device called a rotational rheometer, which measures the torque required to rotate a circular disk immersed in the liquid. The higher the torque, the greater the rotational pressure on the liquid surface.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding rotational pressure and paraboloidal liquid surfaces?

Understanding rotational pressure and paraboloidal liquid surfaces is crucial in many fields, including fluid dynamics, meteorology, and oceanography. It also has practical applications in industries such as oil and gas, where rotational pressure is used to separate different types of liquids based on their densities.