Intersecting x_1x_2 Plane and Curve x at t=π/2

In summary, the problem is asking for the intersection of the x_1x_2 plane and the normal plane to the curve at t = pi/2. Using the tangent vector of the curve at that point, we can find the equation of the normal plane and the equation of the x_1x_2 plane. Solving for the intersection of these two planes will give us a line, which is the intersection of the two original planes.
lldaniel144

Homework Statement

Find the intersection of the x_1x_2 plane and the normal plane to the curve
x= (cos(t)e_1 + (sin(t))e_2 + (t)e_3

At the point t = pi/2

Homework Equations

I have looked everywhere for a formula or an example for this and cannot find one? Can anyone help me as to what I should be looking up, if there is a formula, or a hint on the method I should try.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First, determine the planes! The tangent vector to cos(t)e_1 + (sin(t))e_2 + (t)e_3
is -sin(t)e_1+ cos(t)e_2+ e_3 and at pi/2 that is -e_1+ e_3. Of course, at pi/2, the curve goes through the point e_2+(pi/2)e_3.

The equation of a plane with normal vector -e_1+ e_3 containing point (0,1,pi/2) is, of course, -x_1+ x_3- pi/2= 0 or x_3- x_1= pi/2.

I assume you know that the equation of the x_1x_2plane is x_3= 0.

Find all points that satisfy x_3- x_1= pi/2 and x_3= 0. The intersection of two planes is, of course, a line.

Why did you look for the formula? Such things are easy to derive for yourself.

1. What is the significance of intersecting the x1x2 plane and a curve at t=π/2?

The intersection of the x1x2 plane and a curve at t=π/2 represents the point at which the curve crosses the x1x2 plane when t=π/2. This can be used to determine the coordinates of the point of intersection and the slope of the curve at that point.

2. How do you calculate the coordinates of the point of intersection?

The coordinates of the point of intersection can be calculated by substituting t=π/2 into the parametric equations of the curve. This will give the x and y coordinates of the point of intersection on the x1x2 plane.

3. What does the slope of the curve at the point of intersection represent?

The slope of the curve at the point of intersection represents the rate of change of the curve at that point. It can be thought of as the steepness of the curve at that point and can be used to determine the direction in which the curve is heading.

4. Can the intersection of the x1x2 plane and a curve at t=π/2 have multiple points?

Yes, it is possible for the intersection of the x1x2 plane and a curve at t=π/2 to have multiple points. This can occur when the curve crosses the x1x2 plane more than once at t=π/2, or when the curve is tangent to the plane at t=π/2.

5. What is the relationship between the x1x2 plane and a curve at t=π/2?

The x1x2 plane serves as a reference plane for the curve at t=π/2. The intersection of the two represents the point at which the curve crosses the plane, and the slope of the curve at that point can be used to determine its behavior in relation to the plane.