Finding Internships at Science Labs for San Diego HS Student

In summary, the speaker is a high school student from San Diego who is interested in interning at a science lab to gain a better understanding of the field and potentially decide on a career path. They mention wanting to attend a center focused on Artificial Intelligence and ask for suggestions and advice. Another speaker suggests checking with UCSD and other institutions for summer programs and recommends checking the National Science Foundation and LBL's websites for information. The conversation ends with the student expressing regret for missing application deadlines and asking about a potential program at Berkeley.
Euphoriet
I'm not really sure if anyone would be able to help me here... but I really want to try to get an internship working at some type of science lab.

Ok.. so basically I'm a high school student in San Diego.

Now, I know you maybe wondering why a HS student want an "internship" at a lab.. what contribution could I possibly make... Well to tell you the truth I want to get a feel of what people who go into these fields actually do.

I mean in high school we may learn a lot about these subjects if we commit ourselves to it... but I really doubt its anything like the actual work at the lab.

I don't know I'm just not really decided on what I want to do in life yet and I think this would be of great help.. it would either really encourage to pursue this or.. totally make me take another path.

I just wish there was a center around here that focused on Articial Intelligence that I could somehow attend and learn at.

I hope you guys understand.. and if you can provide me with any help that would be great.. also I'm not really sure what's possible and what isnt'..if you could tell me what's farfetched .. that would be cool too.. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you live in SD, I would check UCSD first and foremost. I know they have great research in biological sciences (Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla is world famous but I doubt they have any programs for high school students but worth checing nonethless) and probably have some programs for high students during the summer. I was able to do research in high school because I got into a program specifically for high school students to do cancer research. I had no idea about the program but my chemistry teacher recommended that I apply so you might want to check with your counselors and/or science teachers first. Sorry I can't help you with AI. I had to write one paper about it in college for my philosophy class and it was unmemorable to say the least.

It's ok about the AI.. but thanks for the input here...

I will talk to my teachers about it.

Any more ideas are welcomed.. thanks.

how was ur cancer research program? did u learn anythin from it? do u think it was well worth ur time?

thanks

it seems I missed the top programs I could have applied to.. the deadlines where Feb.

I think some government labs have high school programs in the summer for students. Check the national science foundation's website for some info.

Also check out LBL's website : lbl.gov

If I remember correctly, doesn't Berkeley have some type of k-12 lab thing?

1. How do I find internships at science labs in San Diego as a high school student?

There are a few ways to find internships at science labs in San Diego as a high school student. You can start by reaching out to your school's science department or career center for resources and connections. You can also search online for internships specifically for high school students in San Diego. Additionally, networking with professionals in the science field and attending career fairs can also lead to potential internship opportunities.

2. What qualifications do I need to have for a science lab internship in San Diego?

The qualifications for a science lab internship in San Diego may vary depending on the specific lab, but some common requirements include a strong interest in science, good grades in related courses, and a willingness to learn and work hard. Some labs may also require specific skills or experiences, such as knowledge of a certain software or experience with lab equipment.

3. Is it necessary to have prior experience for a science lab internship in San Diego?

No, it is not always necessary to have prior experience for a science lab internship in San Diego. Many internships are designed for students who are new to the field and are looking to gain hands-on experience. However, having some relevant experience, such as volunteering in a lab or participating in science-related extracurricular activities, can make you a stronger candidate for an internship.

4. Can I get academic credit for a science lab internship in San Diego?

It is possible to receive academic credit for a science lab internship in San Diego, but it ultimately depends on your school's policies and the specific internship program. Some high schools may offer credit for internships, while others may not. It's important to discuss this with your school's administration and the internship program beforehand.

5. Are science lab internships in San Diego paid or unpaid?

Science lab internships in San Diego can be paid or unpaid, depending on the organization and the specific internship program. Some internships may offer a stipend or hourly wage, while others may be strictly volunteer positions. It's important to research the specifics of the internship before applying to understand if it is paid or unpaid.