Can Mixing Absolute Zero and Planck Temperature Cause an Explosion?

• Thread starter jcbtaylor168
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential outcome of mixing extremely hot and cold substances. While there is a belief that an explosion would occur, it is noted that this may not necessarily be the case if there is a strong barrier separating the two substances. The possibility of using the repulsion between the substances to generate lift is also brought up.
jcbtaylor168
I am curious as to what would happen if you took something that was as cold as you can get and mixed it with something that is as hot as you can get. I have bin wondering for a long time. I believe it would cause an explosion of some sort.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not necessarily. What if there is a very strong resister separating the 2 systems (like a very narrow pipe 10 angstroms wide).

it depends, for example why would they explode? I guess because:
Naturally you wouldn't be able to bring them too close together because there would be a large repulsion between them (due to the particle flow from the higher temp to the 0K object because it has much more energy states free for them and in order to bring thermodynamical equilibrium).

ChrisVer could you use that repulsion to generate lift?

in general yes.. I don't see a reason why it cannot.

Last edited:

What is 0.0 K + Planc temperature?

0.0 K + Planc temperature refers to the absolute zero temperature, which is the lowest possible temperature that can be achieved. It is often referred to as 0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius.

How does 0.0 K + Planc temperature relate to the Planc constant?

The Planc constant, also known as Planck's constant, is a fundamental constant in physics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is often used in calculations involving temperature, including the calculation of the 0.0 K + Planc temperature.

Can 0.0 K + Planc temperature be reached in real life?

Achieving 0.0 K + Planc temperature is theoretically possible by using extreme cooling methods, such as using lasers to trap and cool atoms. However, it is impossible to reach absolute zero in practice, as it would require removing all energy from a system, which is not possible according to the laws of thermodynamics.

What happens to matter at 0.0 K + Planc temperature?

At 0.0 K + Planc temperature, matter would have no thermal energy and would come to a complete standstill. This means that all motion, including the motion of atoms and molecules, would cease. It is also believed that quantum effects become more pronounced at this temperature.

Why is 0.0 K + Planc temperature considered the lowest possible temperature?

0.0 K + Planc temperature is considered the lowest possible temperature because it is the point at which all thermal motion stops. It is the point at which the entropy, or disorder, of a system reaches its minimum value. This is known as the third law of thermodynamics.