Distance shifted by the centre of pattern

• Thread starter desmond iking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a Young's double slit experiment where a piece of glass with a thickness of 0.024mm and a refractive index of 1.5 is used to cover one of the slits. The question asks for the distance shifted by the center of the interference pattern, but it does not provide enough information to solve for this distance. The conversation also mentions finding the distance between the central maximum and the first minimum, but there is no clear argument for multiplying this distance by 20. The conversation ends with a recommendation to make a clear drawing and clarify the exact wording of the question.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

In a Young's double slit experiment , the two slits are separated 0.5mm apart, Monochromatic light of wavelgnth 6.0x10^-7 m is used to illuminate the slits. When a piece of glass of thickness 0.024mm and refractive index of 1.5 used to cover one of the slits the whole intefrence pattern shifted in one direction. Find the distance shifted by the centre of pattern .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OPD= (n-1)t = m λ
(1.5-1)(0.024x10^-3) = m (6x10^-7)
m = 20
i am going to find the distance between central max and first min which i have x = λD/ a
a= separation of slit
but i don't have D (distance of the slit from the screen ) ...
how to proceed with this?
is the question wrong ? or ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not even told that there is a screen.
What you are expected to do is locate the central maximum.
Is there something other than position on a screen that gets used?
Do you have some notes or coursework about what happens when a bit of glass is covering one slit?

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
Do you have some notes or coursework about what happens when a bit of glass is covering one slit?

here's the notes

Attachments

• IMG_20140915_234640[1].jpg
    IMG_20140915_234640[1].jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 382
Simon Bridge said:

here's the notes:

Attachments

• DSC_0107.jpg
    DSC_0107.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 376
Hi Des, and tell us: the second set of notes shows a worked example where you don't need the distance to the screen (because it's about two theta's and "the D divides out", so to say). Right ?

I agree with Simon that you need D, so if it isn't given, the answer will be something like: shift = ... * D

Why do you want to "to find the distance between central max and first min" when something quiet different is asked for?

OPD= (n-1)t = m λ
(1.5-1)(0.024x10^-3) = m (6x10^-7)
m = 20
Perhaps the answer they are after is something like, "The central maximim moves to its left/right* to where was originally the 20th bright fringe."

*You choose.

BvU said:
Why do you want to "to find the distance between central max and first min" when something [STRIKE]quiet[/STRIKE] quite different is asked for?
:smile:

BvU said:
:smile:

so that i can find the distance shifted by the centre of pattern
i am going to fing the distance between the central maximum and first min first, then i times it with 20 , to get the distance shifted by the centre of pattern . Am i wrong?

There is no argument at all for 20 times the distance to the first minimum !

The path straight ahead through the glass has become 20 wavelengths longer. For the central maximum (zero lambda difference), this now has to be compensated by some angle. The same angle that previously made the other path 20 wavelengths longer ... that angle pointed in the direction of the 20th ...

BvU said:
There is no argument at all for 20 times the distance to the first minimum !

The path straight ahead through the glass has become 20 wavelengths longer. For the central maximum (zero lambda difference), this now has to be compensated by some angle. The same angle that previously made the other path 20 wavelengths longer ... that angle pointed in the direction of the 20th ...

i am really confused now. can you give me some guide what should i do in order to get the ans ? perhaps i can understand it much better

desmond iking said:
i am really confused now. can you give me some guide what should i do in order to get the ans ? perhaps i can understand it much better
I believe English is not your first language?

In short: it is not possible to express the shift in cm because there is insufficient information.

Likes 1 person
guide what should i do
Well, you posted some notes about a single slit and an example exercise. Not the exercise we are spending time on.

So far you've calculated that the optical path for the light that goes straight ahead is lengthened by 20 wavelengths if the glass plate is inserted.

Perhaps it's time you make your own clear drawing. And post it, to help us help you.

Then:
Is it clear to you that if you want a distance shift in units of length, you need something to use as a scale ? Either the distance to the screen, the distance from the axis to the nth maximum (or minimum) in the pattern without the glass plate, or whatever. The alternative is an answer where you give an angle.

And:
I am rather convinced that "Find the distance shifted by the centre of pattern . " is not the exact wording of the exercise. What does it say, exactly ?

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
Well, you posted some notes about a single slit and an example exercise. Not the exercise we are spending time on.

So far you've calculated that the optical path for the light that goes straight ahead is lengthened by 20 wavelengths if the glass plate is inserted.

Perhaps it's time you make your own clear drawing. And post it, to help us help you.

Then:
Is it clear to you that if you want a distance shift in units of length, you need something to use as a scale ? Either the distance to the screen, the distance from the axis to the nth maximum (or minimum) in the pattern without the glass plate, or whatever. The alternative is an answer where you give an angle.

And:
I am rather convinced that "Find the distance shifted by the centre of pattern . " is not the exact wording of the exercise. What does it say, exactly ?

here's my drwaing the original question

Attachments

• DSC_0107[1].jpg
    DSC_0107[1].jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_20140916_184118[1].jpg
    IMG_20140916_184118[1].jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 390
Good work: the second picture makes clear that the exercise isn't top quality didactics: we indeed have to "invent" a distance scale. And your rendering of the text is completely correct. It's the text itself that is cruddy (and I am not a native english speaking lingo expert).

The first picture can now be completed (it doesn't show any light rays yet, does it!):
Draw a ray from each slit to the top centre and mark the difference in geometrical length of the paths (the optical path difference is zero, remember?).

BvU said:
Good work: the second picture makes clear that the exercise isn't top quality didactics: we indeed have to "invent" a distance scale. And your rendering of the text is completely correct. It's the text itself that is cruddy (and I am not a native english speaking lingo expert).

The first picture can now be completed (it doesn't show any light rays yet, does it!):
Draw a ray from each slit to the top centre and mark the difference in geometrical length of the paths (the optical path difference is zero, remember?).

how should I proceed from here?

Attachments

• DSC_0109[1].jpg
    DSC_0109[1].jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 337
difference in geometrical length of the paths is the length of the little piece from lower slit to the perpendicular. Has to be how long to make the two optical path lengths equal ?

Same picture but without the glass would point to which order maximum or minimum ?

1+1 = 2:
Central maximum shifts to ... on the same/opposite side of the slit with the glass in front.
And this is at an angle ... wrt the axis

NascentOxygen said:
I believe English is not your first language?

In short: it is not possible to express the shift in cm because there is insufficient information.

i am going to find the distance between the central maximum and first min first, then i times it with 20 , to get the distance shifted by the centre of pattern . Am i wrong?
i have found out the central maximum of new fringe after the glass is added will move to 20th order of the fringe from the old central maximum (before the glass is added)...
please help... i am confused now..

desmond iking said:
i am going to find the distance between the central maximum and first min first, then i times it with 20 , to get the distance shifted by the centre of pattern . Am i wrong?
Your method is right. But this question doesn't supply enough information for you to be able to determine a distance in cm. You have to leave your answer as "a distance of 20 fringes", or express as the equivalent angle deviation. You can't do cm here because you aren't told how far away is the screen.

The answer consists of two parts: the number of fringes, and a direction. Draw these on a diagram to show your understanding.

NascentOxygen said:
Your method is right. But this question doesn't supply enough information for you to be able to determine a distance in cm. You have to leave your answer as "a distance of 20 fringes", or express as the equivalent angle deviation. You can't do cm here because you aren't told how far away is the screen.

The answer consists of two parts: the number of fringes, and a direction. Draw these on a diagram to show your understanding.

Thanks!

What is the "distance shifted by the centre of pattern"?

The "distance shifted by the centre of pattern" refers to the distance that the center of a repeating pattern has been moved or shifted from its original position.

Why is the distance shifted by the centre of pattern important?

This distance is important because it affects the overall appearance and symmetry of the pattern. A larger shift can create a more dynamic and visually interesting pattern, while a smaller shift can create a more subtle and harmonious pattern.

How is the distance shifted by the centre of pattern measured?

The distance is typically measured in units such as pixels, inches, or centimeters. It can be measured using a ruler, measuring tape, or through digital software.

Can the distance shifted by the centre of pattern be negative?

Yes, the distance can be negative if the center of the pattern has been shifted in the opposite direction from its original position. This can create a mirrored or flipped effect in the pattern.

What factors can influence the distance shifted by the centre of pattern?

The distance can be influenced by various factors such as the type of pattern, the size of the pattern, and the overall design or layout of the pattern. It can also be intentionally manipulated by the designer for creative purposes.