Show that the Time-Avg Power is proportional to 1+cos(delta)

In summary, the problem involved deriving P_{avg} \propto 1 + cos(δ) in a Microwave Optics lab for a Modern Physics class. By combining the electric fields of two signals reflected off different mirrors, it was shown that the time-average power at the detector can be written as P_{avg} \propto 1 + cos(δ) using the trigonometric product identity cos(α)cos(β) = ½[cos(α+β)+cos(α-β)]. This was done by taking the time average of the squared total electric field, which resulted in the constant term remaining and the cosine terms cancelling out. This confirmed the relationship between P_{avg} and cos(δ
EnlightenedOne

Homework Statement

I am working on a lab report for a Microwave Optics lab in a Modern Physics class. There is a part in it where I am supposed to derive [itex]P_{avg} \propto 1 + cos(δ) [/itex]. Here is the problem:

The electric field of the signal reflected off the fixed mirror can be written as [itex]E_1 =
E_0 cos(ωt)[/itex]. The electric field of the signal reflected off the adjustable mirror is then [itex]E_2 = E_0 cos(ωt+δ)[/itex], where [itex]δ = 2π(2x)/λ[/itex] is the phase difference in radians caused by moving the mirror a distance [itex]x[/itex]. The factor of [itex]2[/itex] comes from the fact that moving the mirror a distance [itex]x[/itex] changes the round-trip path length by [itex]2x[/itex]. These two signals combine at the detector, producing a net electric field that is equal to their sum, [itex]E_{tot} = E_1+E_2[/itex]. (We assume that both signals have the same polarization.) The detector measures power, which is proportional to the square of the total electric field, [itex]P \propto E_{tot}^2[/itex]. Using the trigonometric product identity [itex]cos(α)cos(β) = ½[cos(α+β)+cos(α-β)][/itex], show that the time-average power at the detector can be written as [itex]P_{avg} \propto 1 + cos(δ) [/itex].

Homework Equations

[tex]E_1 =
E_0 cos(ωt)[/tex]
[tex]E_2 = E_0 cos(ωt+δ)[/tex]
[tex]δ = 2π(2x)/λ[/tex]
[tex]E_{tot} = E_1+E_2[/tex]
[tex]P \propto E_{tot}^2[/tex]
[tex]cos(α)cos(β) = ½[cos(α+β)+cos(α-β)][/tex]
[tex]P_{avg} \propto 1 + cos(δ) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start on this problem, but here is my preliminary attempt:

[tex]E_{tot} = E_1+E_2
= E_0 cos(ωt) + E_0 cos(ωt+δ)[/tex]
[tex]= E_0 [cos(ωt) + cos(ωt+δ)][/tex]
[tex]E_{tot}^2 = E_0^2 [cos(ωt) + cos(ωt+δ)]^2[/tex]
[tex]= E_0^2 [cos^2(ωt) + 2cos(ωt)cos(ωt+δ) + cos^2(ωt+δ)][/tex]
Then using [itex]cos(α)cos(β) = ½[cos(α+β)+cos(α-β)][/itex]:
[tex]= E_0^2 [cos^2(ωt) + cos^2(ωt+δ)+ cos(2ωt+δ)+ cos(-δ)][/tex]
[tex]= E_0^2 [cos^2(ωt) + cos^2(ωt+δ)+ cos(2ωt+δ)+ cos(δ)][/tex]
But, I really don't know where I am going or what to do and I need help. What I have for my attempt is just some "playing around" to see if something would come together. I especially don't know where "time-avg" power is coming in. But, overall, I just have no clue.

Can someone please help me figure out what to do?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
EnlightenedOne said:
[tex]cos(α)cos(β) = ½[cos(α+β)+cos(α-β)][/tex]
[tex]P_{avg} \propto 1 + cos(δ) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start on this problem, but here is my preliminary attempt:

[tex]E_{tot} = E_1+E_2
= E_0 cos(ωt) + E_0 cos(ωt+δ)[/tex]
[tex]= E_0 [cos(ωt) + cos(ωt+δ)][/tex]
[tex]E_{tot}^2 = E_0^2 [cos(ωt) + cos(ωt+δ)]^2[/tex]
[tex]= E_0^2 [cos^2(ωt) + 2cos(ωt)cos(ωt+δ) + cos^2(ωt+δ)][/tex]
Then using [itex]cos(α)cos(β) = ½[cos(α+β)+cos(α-β)][/itex]:
[tex]= E_0^2 [cos^2(ωt) + cos^2(ωt+δ)+ cos(2ωt+δ)+ cos(-δ)][/tex]
[tex]= E_0^2 [cos^2(ωt) + cos^2(ωt+δ)+ cos(2ωt+δ)+ cos(δ)][/tex]

cos^2(ωt) = cos(ωt) cos(ωt) , so you can use the formula for cos(α )cos(β) with α=β=ωt. Do the same with cos2(ωt+δ).
ehild

ehild said:
cos^2(ωt) = cos(ωt) cos(ωt) , so you can use the formula for cos(α )cos(β) with α=β=ωt. Do the same with cos2(ωt+δ).

ehild

Ok, now I get this:
[tex]E_{tot}^2 = E_0^2[(1/2)cos(2ωt)+(1/2)cos(2ωt+2δ)+cos(2ωt+δ)+cos(δ) + (1/2)][/tex]
But I still don't know if I'm even heading in the right direction to show that [itex]P_{avg} \propto 1 + cos(δ)[/itex]. I am still lost as to how I am supposed to show this.

EnlightenedOne said:
Ok, now I get this:
[tex]E_{tot}^2 = E_0^2[(1/2)cos(2ωt)+(1/2)cos(2ωt+2δ)+cos(2ωt+δ)+cos(δ) + (1/2)][/tex]
But I still don't know if I'm even heading in the right direction to show that [itex]P_{avg} \propto 1 + cos(δ)[/itex]. I am still lost as to how I am supposed to show this.

The last term is 1 instead of 1/2.

You have to take the time average of the function above, that is integrate with respect to time for a whole period of the original signal.. It is the sum of the integrals of all terms.
What is the integral of a cosine function for a whole period?

ehild

ehild said:
The last term is 1 instead of 1/2.

You have to take the time average of the function above, that is integrate with respect to time for a whole period of the original signal.. It is the sum of the integrals of all terms.
What is the integral of a cosine function for a whole period?

ehild

Before attempting any integration (which I still don't know what the limits of integration should be) how is the last term 1 instead of 1/2? Also, the integral of cosine over a whole period is 0.

EnlightenedOne said:
Before attempting any integration (which I still don't know what the limits of integration should be) how is the last term 1 instead of 1/2? Also, the integral of cosine over a whole period is 0.

You have two cos2 terms. cos2(ωt)=1/2[1+cos(2ωt)] and cos2(ωt+δ)=1/2[1+cos(2(ωt+δ))], so you have two 1/2-s altogether :biggrin:.

The time average is integral with respect time from any time τ to T+τ, divided by T where T is the time period.
All the cosine terms cancel and the constant terms remain. The time average of a constant is itself.

ehild

ehild said:
You have two cos2 terms. cos2(ωt)=1/2[1+cos(2ωt)] and cos2(ωt+δ)=1/2[1+cos(2(ωt+δ))], so you have two 1/2-s altogether :biggrin:.

The time average is integral with respect time from any time τ to T+τ, divided by T where T is the time period.
All the cosine terms cancel and the constant terms remain. The time average of a constant is itself.

ehild

Ok, so here is what I have now:
[tex]E_{tot}^2 = E_0^2[(1/2)cos(2ωt)+(1/2)cos(2(ωt+δ))+cos(2ωt+δ)+cos(δ)+1][/tex]
Taking the time-average of [itex]E_{tot}^2[/itex] becomes:
[tex]E_{tot,avg}^2 = (E_0^2/T)\int_τ^{T+τ} [(1/2)cos(2ωt)+(1/2)cos(2(ωt+δ))+cos(2ωt+δ)+cos(δ)+1]\,dt[/tex]
[tex]= (E_0^2/T)[tcos(δ)+t]_τ^{T+τ}[/tex]
[tex]=(E_0^2/T)[[(T+τ)cos(δ)+T+τ]-[τcos(δ)+τ]][/tex]
[tex]=(E_0^2/T)[Tcos(δ)+T][/tex]
[tex]=E_0^2(1+cos(δ))[/tex]
Is this correct?

Yes, it is correct.

ehild

ehild said:
Yes, it is correct.

ehild

Ok, so this is my conclusion then (correct me if I'm wrong):
Since [itex]P \propto E_{tot}^2[/itex], then [itex]P_{avg} \propto E_{tot,avg}^2[/itex].
And since [itex]E_{tot,avg}^2 = E_0^2(1+cos(δ))[/itex], then [itex]P_{avg} \propto 1+cos(δ)[/itex].

You solved the problem!

ehild

ehild said:
You solved the problem!

ehild

THANK YOU SO MUCH:biggrin:! Couldn't have done it without your help!

Thanks again!

You are welcome:smile:

ehild

1. What is the equation for time-averaged power?

The equation for time-averaged power is P = (1/T) * ∫cos²(ωt + δ) dt, where T is the period of the waveform, ω is the angular frequency, and δ is the phase angle.

2. How is time-averaged power related to 1+cos(δ)?

According to the equation for time-averaged power, P = (1/T) * ∫cos²(ωt + δ) dt, we can see that the power is directly proportional to cos²(ωt + δ). Using trigonometric identities, we can rewrite cos²(ωt + δ) as 1/2 * (1 + cos(2ωt + 2δ)). Therefore, we can see that the time-averaged power is proportional to 1 + cos(2ωt + 2δ), which includes the term 1 + cos(δ).

3. How does the phase angle affect the time-averaged power?

The phase angle, δ, affects the time-averaged power by changing the amplitude of the cosine function. This results in a change in the average power over time. When δ is equal to 0, the power is at its maximum value, and when δ is equal to π/2, the power is at its minimum value.

4. Can you show graphically how time-averaged power is proportional to 1+cos(δ)?

Yes, we can show graphically how time-averaged power is proportional to 1+cos(δ) by plotting a graph of power vs. phase angle δ. This graph will show a sinusoidal curve with a maximum value at δ = 0 and a minimum value at δ = π/2, demonstrating the direct proportionality between time-averaged power and 1+cos(δ).

5. How is this equation used in practical applications?

The equation for time-averaged power is used in various practical applications, such as in electrical engineering, where it is used to calculate the average power in AC circuits. It is also used in signal processing to analyze and measure power in electronic signals. Additionally, this equation is used in fields such as physics and astronomy to study periodic phenomena and analyze power variations over time.