Optimized Solving Net Displacement Problem w/ Sailboat Tacking

In summary, the problem involves a sailboat tacking against the wind, moving 3.8 km at 45° east of north, 4.5 km at 55° west of north, and 2 km at 45° east of north. To find the net displacement, the individual vectors must be added together, taking into account their directions. Simply adding the individual magnitudes will not give the correct answer. A diagram must be drawn to visualize the boat's movement and determine the net displacement. Simply stating the distances sailed will not solve the problem, as the direction of the movement must also be considered. It is important to understand the difference between distance sailed and net displacement in order to correctly solve the problem.
kaylaannreilly

Homework Statement

I'm have a hard time figuring out how to do this problem:
A sailboat tacking against the wind moves as follows: 3.8 km at 45° east of north, 4.5 km at 55° west of north, 2 km at 45° east of north. What is the net displacement for the entire motion? How many degrees east of north is the sailboat?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that to find the net displacement you had to simply add the vectors:
3.8+4.5+2=10.3 However, this is not right and I don't understand how else to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adding the vectors is exactly what you are supposed to do, but it's not what you did. You just added the individual magnitudes. You need to draw a diagram of what the boat is doing and go from there.

I did draw the picture but I'm not sure what to do with the picture.

kaylaannreilly said:
I did draw the picture but I'm not sure what to do with the picture.

Well, see, the thing is, even the best minds here are not mind READERS, so if you don't post it there's not going to be much we can do to help you.

You calculated the distance sailed not the net displacement. Do you understand the difference?

1. What is the "Optimized Solving Net Displacement Problem w/ Sailboat Tacking"?

The "Optimized Solving Net Displacement Problem w/ Sailboat Tacking" refers to a mathematical problem that involves finding the shortest possible route for a sailboat to travel from one point to another while taking into account the effects of wind and tacking (changing direction of the boat) to optimize the overall displacement or distance traveled.

2. Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it has real-world applications in the sailing industry, particularly in races where finding the most efficient route can mean the difference between winning and losing. It also has implications in other fields such as transportation and logistics where optimizing routes can save time, fuel, and resources.

3. What factors are considered in solving this problem?

The factors that are considered in solving this problem include the wind direction and speed, the sailboat's speed and maneuverability, the starting and ending points, and any obstacles or constraints in the route such as land masses or other boats.

4. How is this problem typically solved?

This problem is typically solved using mathematical models and algorithms, such as dynamic programming, that take into account the various factors and constraints to determine the optimal route. Computer simulations and optimizations are also commonly used to find the best solution.

5. What are some challenges in solving this problem?

Some challenges in solving this problem include accurately modeling the complex dynamics of wind and sailboat movement, accounting for changing conditions during the journey, and finding the optimal balance between distance and time. Additionally, the large number of variables and constraints involved can make the problem computationally intensive and require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.