Relationship between work and potential energy

In summary: This means that the non-conservative forces are doing work on the particle, taking away energy from the system.
lzh

Homework Statement

At time ti, the kinetic energy of a particle is
35.5 J and its potential energy is 8.16 J.At
some later time tf , its kinetic energy is 9.38 J.
If only conservative forces act on the parti-
cle, what is its potential energy tf ? Answer
in units of J.
If the potential energy at time tf is 6.95 J,
what is the work done by the nonconservative
forces acting on the particle? Answer in units
of J.

Homework Equations

W=F*displacement*cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part of the question, because there were only conservative forces, the sum of kinetic and potential must be same for both ti and tf. And i know that i have the right answer for that. But for the second part, where force isn't conserved, that would not be the case:
I CANNOT take the sum of 35.5 and 8.16 and subtract 6.95 like i did for the first part.
I don't think i completely understand the concept here, so i'd appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing a relationship between work and energy. W = ______

Fill in the blank and you should have your answer. Hint (you're not looking for W = Fd)

work is kinetic energy here, right?

and what else...

lzh said:
work is kinetic energy here, right?
No. When non-conservative forces act, total mechanical energy is not conserved. How much energy did you start with? What did you end up with? Can you explain this?

well, I started with 43.66J. But i don't know how much ends up being left.

wait... can this possibly be right?:
W=KE+PE

That's my line of thought...work done by non conservative forces= change in kinetic energy + change in potential energy

so does the answer to this part end up the same as first part of the question?

lzh said:
so does the answer to this part end up the same as first part of the question?
No. The initial mechanical energy,
(KE + PE)_initial, is 43.66J. The final mechanical energy, (KE + PE)_final, is 16.33J. The difference between the two represents the change in the total mechanical energy of the system , which is, as stated above, equal to the work done by the non-conservative forces.

would the change in mechanical energy be negative?
-27.33J in this case.
because +27.33J is wrong, according to my homework service

Last edited:
Assuming you did the calculation right, the work should be negative.

What is work and potential energy?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition.

How are work and potential energy related?

Work can be used to change an object's potential energy. For example, if you lift an object, you are doing work against the force of gravity, increasing the object's potential energy.

What is the formula for calculating potential energy?

The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

Can work be converted into potential energy and vice versa?

Yes, work can be converted into potential energy and vice versa. For example, when a ball is thrown into the air, the work done by the person throwing the ball is converted into potential energy as the ball gains height. When the ball falls back down, the potential energy is converted back into work as the ball moves back to its original position.

How does the relationship between work and potential energy affect everyday life?

The relationship between work and potential energy is seen in many everyday activities, such as lifting objects, riding a bike, or throwing a ball. It is also important in understanding the behavior of energy in systems, such as in the production and storage of electricity.