Understanding Pure Substances vs. Mixtures: A Guide for Chemistry Students

• Thread starter Larrytsai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, an alloy is a mixture of different elements, whereas a compound is a pure substance made of only one element.
Larrytsai
This might be a stupid question... but can anyone tell me the difference between Pure Substances and Mixtures?

I read the definition both in the book but when I look at my hwk problems they don't come to my head what's what. For example A metal that melts not fully at 300 degrees and fully melts at 440 degrees. I thought that it would be Pure substance because a compound is a pure substance. But its actually Homogeneous mixture.

Any help to help me understand the difference is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Well let's take a look at brass, which is a metal. But it is homogenous mixture because it is a mixture of copper Cu and Zinc Zn.
Now if you had a chunk of copper Cu which is also a metal, then you would have a pure substance, ignoring any oxide.

MichaelXY said:
Well let's take a look at brass, which is a metal. But it is homogenous mixture because it is a mixture of copper Cu and Zinc Zn.
Now if you had a chunk of copper Cu which is also a metal, then you would have a pure substance, ignoring any oxide.

but isn't CuZn a compound. and a compound is a pure substance?

Good question. Brass is not a compound, it is an alloy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloy

I was trying to think of a better way to explain this, and the best I can come up with is that the Cu does not bond with the Zn, rather when both elements are melted the Cu atoms and the Zn atoms blend together, sort of like NaCl and H2O.
You don't end up with HCl or NaO, you still have H2O with Na and Cl ions, but if you evaporate the H20 the remaining component is NaCl.
I don't know if I said that well, but I hope it helps.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a pure substance and a mixture?

A pure substance is a substance that is made up of only one type of particle, such as an element or a compound. On the other hand, a mixture is made up of two or more substances that are physically combined and can be separated by physical means.

2. How can I determine if a substance is pure or a mixture?

In order to determine if a substance is pure or a mixture, you can perform various tests such as melting point, boiling point, and chromatography. A pure substance will have a specific and consistent melting and boiling point, while a mixture will have varying melting and boiling points depending on the substances present.

3. What are the different types of mixtures?

There are two main types of mixtures: homogeneous and heterogeneous. Homogeneous mixtures have a uniform composition throughout, while heterogeneous mixtures have visibly different components and can be separated by physical means.

4. Can pure substances be separated into different components?

Pure substances cannot be separated into different components by physical means, as they are made up of only one type of particle. However, they can be broken down into smaller particles through chemical means, such as through a chemical reaction.

5. Why is it important to understand the difference between pure substances and mixtures?

Understanding the difference between pure substances and mixtures is important in chemistry because it helps us classify and identify different substances. This knowledge also allows us to predict the properties and behavior of different substances, which is crucial in fields such as medicine, material science, and environmental science.