[Thermodynamics] Ideal Gas Properties of Air

In summary: Volume, or more specifically, the amount of space an object occupies, is determined by the object's mass and its density. Volume is also determined by the pressure and temperature inside the object. In summary, volume is determined by the object's mass, density, and pressure. Volume is also determined by the object's temperature and pressure.
Altairs
I was studying the Ideal gas properties of air. Among other properties like [itex]h[/itex], [itex]P_r[/itex], [itex]U[/itex], [itex]V_r[/itex] I also found an [itex]S^o[/itex]. What is this entropy like thing ?

Science news on Phys.org
Altairs said:
I was studying the Ideal gas properties of air. Among other properties like [itex]h[/itex], [itex]P_r[/itex], [itex]U[/itex], [itex]V_r[/itex] I also found an [itex]S^o[/itex]. What is this entropy like thing ?

It is the standard state entropy:

[tex]S^0 = \int_{T_{ref}}^T \frac{C_p(T)}{T}dT[/tex]

CS

Standard State Entropy ? What's the difference between Standard STate Entropy and the normal Entropy ?

Altairs said:
Standard State Entropy ? What's the difference between Standard STate Entropy and the normal Entropy ?

Standard state entropy is just referenced at absolute zero (t,ref in the integral above).

When the temperature change during a process is large and the specific heats of the ideal gas vary nonlinearly within the temperature range, the assumption of constant specific heats may lead to considerable errors in entropy-change calculations. For those cases, the variation of specific heats with temperature should be properly accounted for by utilizing accurate relations for the specific heats as a function of temperature. The entropy change during a process is then determined by substituting those Cv(T) and Cp(T) relations into the entropy equations and integrating.

Instead of performing the laborious integrals each time you have a new process, it is convenient to perform these integrals once and tabulate the results. For this purpose absolute zero is chosen as the reference temperature as defined in the equation above.

One may then simply refer to the tabulated values to determine the entropy change.

CS

what is Vr... I know how to get Vr from my text but not sure what it is and what its used for...Im trying to find values for internal energy for an otto cycle question...im working on EES but only know how to get the values for Vr from the text

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of particles that have no volume and do not interact with each other. This means that an ideal gas follows the gas laws (Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, Avogadro's Law) perfectly, and its behavior can be described by the ideal gas law (PV = nRT).

2. What are the properties of an ideal gas?

An ideal gas has the following properties:

• Particles have no volume
  • Particles do not interact with each other
  • Particles are in constant, random motion
  • The pressure, volume, and temperature are directly proportional to each other
  • The internal energy of the gas is directly proportional to its temperature

3. How does air behave as an ideal gas?

Air is a mixture of gases and can behave as an ideal gas under certain conditions, such as low pressure and high temperature. However, at high pressures and low temperatures, the behavior of air deviates from that of an ideal gas due to the intermolecular forces between its particles.

4. What are the units for the ideal gas constant (R)?

The ideal gas constant (R) has units of energy per mole per Kelvin (J/mol·K) in the SI system of units. However, it can also be expressed as pressure times volume per temperature (PV/T) in other unit systems, such as atm·L/mol·K or mmHg·m^3/mol·K.

5. How can the ideal gas law be used to calculate the properties of air?

The ideal gas law (PV = nRT) can be used to calculate various properties of air, such as pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles. By knowing three of these properties, the fourth one can be calculated using the ideal gas law. This can be particularly useful in engineering and thermodynamics applications.