What is the pressure on face B of an L-shaped tank filled with water?

• Thread starter azrida
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tank
In summary, the L-shaped tank shown has a problem because the force on face B is not equal to the force on face A.
azrida
HELP! L-shaped tank problem!

Homework Statement

The L-shaped tank shown below is filled with water and is open at the top.
(a) If d = 7.0 m, what is the force on face A due to the water?
(b) What is the force on face B due to the water?

Homework Equations

F=PA
P=pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the (a) part right: pgd*A = 1000*9.8*14*49 = 6722800.

However, I don't have a clue how I can get pressure on face B!

I tried setting distance as 3d = 21 and 4d = 28, and area as d^2 = 49, but nothing seems to work.
The answer is supposed to be 8.40e+06.

I need to know this for exam on Tuesday.

Please, HELP!

picture's at http://www.webassign.net/hrw/hrw7_14-33.gif

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

No image, so I have no idea either.

Face B is a vertical face. Hence the pressure changes with depth.

So consider then the average force across the B face between 2d and 3d times the area.

LowlyPion said:
Face B is a vertical face. Hence the pressure changes with depth.

So consider then the average force across the B face between 2d and 3d times the area.
So, do I do 2.5d..?And 2.5d seems to do the trick since I got the correct answer with it:

F = PA = pgdA = 1000*9.8*(2.5*7)(7*7) = 8403500 N Thanks a bunch :-) !

Last edited:

Yep. You got it.

well, it is actually not 2.5D. the more precise working is integrating.

let pgh be the function where p and g is constant. Hence, you can integrate h where the upper boundary is 3D and the lower boundary is 2D. The answer would be more or less the same if you use 2.5D but better luck next time, you might need this :)

1. What is the "HELP L-shaped tank problem"?

The "HELP L-shaped tank problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum volume of liquid that can be held in a tank that is shaped like an L. This problem is often used as an exercise in optimization and requires the use of calculus and geometry to solve.

2. How do you solve the "HELP L-shaped tank problem"?

To solve the "HELP L-shaped tank problem", you will need to set up an equation that represents the volume of the tank. This equation will involve the variables for the length, width, and height of the tank. You will then need to use calculus to find the maximum value of this equation. Finally, you will need to use geometry to determine the dimensions of the tank that will give you the maximum volume.

3. What are the real-world applications of the "HELP L-shaped tank problem"?

The "HELP L-shaped tank problem" has several real-world applications, including in the design of storage tanks, fuel tanks for airplanes, and water tanks for buildings. It can also be used in the optimization of space for storage in warehouses and shipping containers.

4. What are some tips for solving the "HELP L-shaped tank problem"?

Some tips for solving the "HELP L-shaped tank problem" include carefully defining the variables and setting up the equation, using a graphing calculator or software to visualize the problem, and breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be helpful to practice with similar problems and familiarize yourself with the calculus and geometry concepts involved.

5. Are there any variations of the "HELP L-shaped tank problem"?

Yes, there are variations of the "HELP L-shaped tank problem" that involve different shapes, such as a V-shaped tank or a T-shaped tank. These variations may require different approaches to solve, but the basic principles of using calculus and geometry to find the maximum volume still apply.