Instrument attached to wire - Newton's laws

In summary: It should be a = 2d/t^2 = 2(290)/(10^2) = 5.8 m/s^2.In summary, an instrument weighing 5.10 kg is hanging by a vertical wire inside a spaceship that is blasting off at the surface of the earth. The spaceship starts from rest and reaches an altitude of 290 m in 10.0 s with constant acceleration. The free-body diagram for the instrument during this time shows two vectors, tension and weight, with tension having a greater magnitude. To find the force that the wire exerts on the instrument, the equation T = mg + ma can be used, where T represents tension, m is the mass of the instrument, g is the
cdlegendary

Homework Statement

A 5.10 kg instrument is hanging by a vertical wire inside a spaceship that is blasting off at the surface of the earth. This ship starts from rest and reaches an altitude of 290 m in 10.0 s with constant acceleration.

a.) Draw a free-body diagram for the instrument during this time.(Assume that the spaceship is accelerating upward. )

b.) Find the force that the wire exerts on the instrument.

Homework Equations

f=ma
v=d/t
a=v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I already drew the FBD, and it's just 2 vectors, the tension and weight, tension upward with more magnitude, and weight downward with less magnitude than that of tension.

The part I'm having trouble is with part 2, shouldn't the tension just be the weight of the instrument attached to the wire + the force of acceleration due to the ship?

So, T = mg + ma

T = (9.8m/s^2)(5.1kg) + (2.9m/s^2)(5.1kg)

This seems to be wrong though. (I got the 2.9m/s^2 through the v = d/t and a = v/t equations.)

Physics news on Phys.org
cdlegendary said:

Homework Statement

A 5.10 kg instrument is hanging by a vertical wire inside a spaceship that is blasting off at the surface of the earth. This ship starts from rest and reaches an altitude of 290 m in 10.0 s with constant acceleration.

a.) Draw a free-body diagram for the instrument during this time.(Assume that the spaceship is accelerating upward. )

b.) Find the force that the wire exerts on the instrument.

Homework Equations

f=ma
v=d/t
a=v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I already drew the FBD, and it's just 2 vectors, the tension and weight, tension upward with more magnitude, and weight downward with less magnitude than that of tension.

The part I'm having trouble is with part 2, shouldn't the tension just be the weight of the instrument attached to the wire + the force of acceleration due to the ship?

So, T = mg + ma

T = (9.8m/s^2)(5.1kg) + (2.9m/s^2)(5.1kg)

This seems to be wrong though. (I got the 2.9m/s^2 through the v = d/t and a = v/t equations.)

v = d/t is average velocity so this is not a relevant equation.

But distance, d = a*t^2/2 for constant acceleration.

I got a = 2.4 m/s^2 not the 2.9 you got.

Spinnor said:
v = d/t is average velocity so this is not a relevant equation.

But distance, d = a*t^2/2 for constant acceleration.

I got a = 2.4 m/s^2 not the 2.9 you got.

Ah I see. I thought I could use the average velocity to get the acceleration. I guess not. Well, when I use the d = (at^2)/2 equation, I get the acceleration to be 5.8m/s^2, not 2.4. What am I doing wrong?

a = 2d/t^2 = 2(290)/(10^2)

cdlegendary said:
Ah I see. I thought I could use the average velocity to get the acceleration. I guess not. Well, when I use the d = (at^2)/2 equation, I get the acceleration to be 5.8m/s^2, not 2.4. What am I doing wrong?

a = 2d/t^2 = 2(290)/(10^2)

My mistake.

1. What is an instrument attached to wire?

An instrument attached to wire refers to a device or tool that is connected to a wire or cable for the purpose of measuring or collecting data. This can include sensors, probes, or other measuring instruments.

2. What are Newton's laws?

Newton's laws are three fundamental principles of physics that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How do Newton's laws apply to instruments attached to wire?

Newton's laws apply to instruments attached to wire in the sense that they help us understand and predict the behavior of the instrument and the data it collects. For example, the first law can explain why a sensor remains in a fixed position while attached to a wire, and the second law can help us understand how much force is needed to move the instrument or how much data it can collect based on its mass.

4. Why is it important to consider Newton's laws when designing an instrument attached to wire?

Considering Newton's laws is essential when designing an instrument attached to wire because they provide a framework for understanding the forces and motion involved. By understanding these principles, scientists can design more accurate and reliable instruments that can collect precise data.

5. What are some real-world applications of instruments attached to wire and Newton's laws?

Instruments attached to wire and Newton's laws have numerous real-world applications. Some examples include force sensors used in robotics and machinery, strain gauges used in construction and engineering, and accelerometers used in sports equipment to measure acceleration and impact. These instruments help us understand the forces and motion involved in various systems and improve their design and performance.