Can Normal Force Actually Perform Work on an Object?

In summary: When you jump, the ground pushes up on you, which causes the normal force to push you up. However, as soon as you break contact with the ground, the normal force goes to zero and you are weightless again. So in that sense, the normal force does not do work on you.
Ahalp

Homework Statement

Can the normal force on an object ever do work on the object? Explain your answer.

The answer in the textbook is:

The normal force can do work on an object. For example, when you jump, you push down on the ground and the normal
force pushes up on you and accelerates you up, giving you kinetic energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial answer before reading the textbook was, no, it can't do work.

I understand that when an object is moving on a surface, the normal force is perpendicular to the distance traveled and so it is zero.

With respect to the answer in the textbook, work is the energy transferred to an object when a force acting on it causes it to move a certain distance. Since, the normal force is a contact force, it only occurs when in contact with a surface. Wouldn't it would be zero as soon as the object loses contact or jumps. Wouldn't this mean that the normal force doesn't do work on the object...:confused:, or am i missing something?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When jumping up, the normal force is in the same direction as the displacement. So it does work.

For an object moving horizontally on a surface, the normal force is perpendicular to the direction of the displacement, so that the work done by it is zero.

If the constraining surface or line is moving itself, then the normal force can do work.

rock.freak667 said:
When jumping up, the normal force is in the same direction as the displacement. So it does work.

For an object moving horizontally on a surface, the normal force is perpendicular to the direction of the displacement, so that the work done by it is zero.

Yes, but doesn't the normal force equal zero when it is not in contact with a surface. So, during the displacement, isn't the normal force 0 as the only force acting on the object is gravity. Thus, wouldn't the work done by the normal force be zero.

In the act of jumping: From you start to jump till the moment your feet loose contact, your center of mass has moved some distance. This, I guess, can be seen as work done by the normal force.

Ahalp said:
Yes, but doesn't the normal force equal zero when it is not in contact with a surface. So, during the displacement, isn't the normal force 0 as the only force acting on the object is gravity. Thus, wouldn't the work done by the normal force be zero.

Yes but as you are pushing down, you are doing work which causes you to move upwards. As you move upwards, the normal force decreases to zero such that the upward force on you tends to zero until the only force acting is your weight. Then you move back down the Earth.

Ahalp said:
Can the normal force on an object ever do work on the object? Explain your answer.

The answer in the textbook is:

The normal force can do work on an object. For example, when you jump, you push down on the ground and the normal
force pushes up on you and accelerates you up, giving you kinetic energy.
I'd say that your book is wrong, or at least very sloppy. It's certainly true while you are in the process of jumping the ground exerts a force on you, and that force (minus your weight) will accelerate your center of mass giving you kinetic energy. Nonetheless, no work is done on you by the normal force. The contact point--the ground--does not move, thus no work is done.

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial answer before reading the textbook was, no, it can't do work.
That answer is correct.

I understand that when an object is moving on a surface, the normal force is perpendicular to the distance traveled and so it is zero.

With respect to the answer in the textbook, work is the energy transferred to an object when a force acting on it causes it to move a certain distance. Since, the normal force is a contact force, it only occurs when in contact with a surface. Wouldn't it would be zero as soon as the object loses contact or jumps. Wouldn't this mean that the normal force doesn't do work on the object...:confused:, or am i missing something?
They are talking about the normal force during the act of jumping, not after you've broken contact with the ground. Think of bending your legs and forcefully straightening them.

Ahalp said:
See above.

jeppetrost said:
In the act of jumping: From you start to jump till the moment your feet loose contact, your center of mass has moved some distance. This, I guess, can be seen as work done by the normal force.
Technically, no, since there is no displacement of the point of contact. No displacement = no work done.

Edit: Let me clarify. Fnet*ΔXcm = 1/2MVcm2 (the kinetic energy of the center of mass), nonetheless the normal force itself did no work on the jumper.

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
I'd say that your book is wrong, or at least very sloppy. It's certainly true while you are in the process of jumping the ground exerts a force on you, and that force (minus your weight) will accelerate your center of mass giving you kinetic energy. Nonetheless, no work is done on you by the normal force. The contact point--the ground--does not move, thus no work is done.

They are talking about the normal force during the act of jumping, not after you've broken contact with the ground. Think of bending your legs and forcefully straightening them.

Thanks, this clarifies it a lot!

The original question was "can the normal force do work?" for which the answer should be "yes," though I agree that their explanation is sloppy.

Consider the situation where the surface itself moves over some distance like the seat of a Ferris wheel, or a horse on a merry-go-round. The normal force is responsible for the displacement and does positive work on the way up and negative work on the way down.

brainpushups said:
The original question was "can the normal force do work?" for which the answer should be "yes," though I agree that their explanation is sloppy.
You're right. There are many situations in which a normal force can do work, so the correct answer to the question should have been "yes". (But in the example given in the textbook, the normal force does no work.)

1. What is normal force in a work problem?

The normal force, represented by the symbol N, is the force that a surface exerts on an object in contact with it. It is perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from sinking into the surface.

2. How is normal force related to work?

In a work problem, normal force is usually involved when calculating the work done on an object by a force. The normal force is perpendicular to the displacement of the object, so it does no work on the object. However, it is important to include the normal force in the work equation because it affects the net force acting on the object.

3. How is normal force calculated in a work problem?

The normal force can be calculated using the equation N = mgcosθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the surface and the direction of the force.

4. When is normal force zero in a work problem?

Normal force is zero when there is no contact between the object and the surface, or when the surface is frictionless. In these cases, the object is not being supported by the surface and does not experience a normal force.

5. Can normal force do work on an object?

No, normal force does not do work on an object because it is perpendicular to the displacement of the object. Only forces that are parallel or antiparallel to the displacement can do work on an object.