Universe contained in another universe

• Thread starter Tungamirai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of universes containing or being contained in other universes and whether our visible universe is just a subsection of a larger one. The speakers ultimately conclude that everything detectable is considered to be in our universe and they are unsure of the beliefs of mainstream scientists. One speaker suggests defining a universe as the entire space in which time exists for a certain group or type of matter, while another suggests that universes may be overlapping.
Tungamirai
Can our universe be contained in another universe , can our universe contain another universe , basically can universes contain or be contained in other universes,

Space news on Phys.org
We will never know, because Everything that can ever be detected by us is considered to be in our universe!
What do you think is the definition of universe?

thecritic said:
We will never know, because Everything that can ever be detected by us is considered to be in our universe!
What do you think is the definition of universe?

But do you think that everything that can be detected i.e. observed,,, constitutes the entirety of our universe?? Or is our visable universe just a subsection of a larger one?

Austin0 said:
But do you think that everything that can be detected i.e. observed,,, constitutes the entirety of our universe?? Or is our visable universe just a subsection of a larger one?
I would go with the former. But I don't know what the mainstream scientists believe.

i would define universe as the entire space in which time exists for a certain group or type of matter/particle/anything that can interact with something else. I think universes might be overlapping each other

1. What is the concept of "Universe contained in another universe"?

The concept of "Universe contained in another universe" refers to the idea that our observable universe, which includes all matter, energy, and space, could be just one small part of a larger, more expansive universe. This theory suggests that there could be multiple universes, each containing its own set of physical laws and properties.

2. Is there any evidence to support this theory?

Currently, there is no empirical evidence to definitively prove or disprove the idea of a universe contained within another universe. Some physicists and cosmologists have proposed mathematical models and theories, such as the multiverse theory, to explain the possibility of multiple universes. However, these ideas are still highly debated and require further exploration and experimentation.

3. How does this concept relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of our universe. It suggests that the universe began as a singularity and expanded rapidly, creating space, time, and all matter and energy. The concept of a universe contained within another universe does not directly contradict the Big Bang theory, but it offers an alternative perspective on the nature of our universe.

4. Can we ever know for sure if there is a universe contained within another universe?

Since the concept of a universe contained within another universe is currently just a theory, it is impossible to know for sure if it is true or not. As with many scientific theories, it may never be possible to prove or disprove this idea conclusively. However, advancements in technology and further research could potentially provide more evidence and insight into this concept in the future.

5. How does the concept of a universe within another universe impact our understanding of the cosmos?

The concept of a universe contained within another universe challenges our current understanding of the cosmos and forces us to question our perception of reality. It also raises philosophical and existential questions about the nature of existence and our place in the universe. Further exploration of this concept could lead to new discoveries and a deeper understanding of the universe we live in.