Gravitational field intensity at the center of the earth

In summary, the gravitational field intensity at the center of the Earth is zero because the Earth's mass surrounds it and gravity moves towards the center of mass, resulting in a net force of zero. This is supported by the fact that when using the formula for gravitational field intensity, the value becomes undefined at the center due to the inner mass approaching zero faster than the radius. Additionally, a good model for the Earth is a sphere with varying density, where the gravitational acceleration at any point inside depends only on the mass closer to the center. Therefore, at the center of the Earth, the inner mass is zero, leading to a gravitational acceleration of zero.
I Like Pi

Homework Statement

what is the gravitational field intensity at the center of the earth

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i was told that it was zero because you have the Earth's mass surrounding it, and graivty moves to the center of its mass (center of radius) therefore the net force would be zero? is this correct?

also if you sub in 0 in the gravitational field intensity formula for the radius, you get a value over zero, meaning it is undefined... so i can't really use that to support why it is zero at the center...

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I Like Pi said:
i was told that it was zero because you have the Earth's mass surrounding it, and graivty moves to the center of its mass (center of radius) therefore the net force would be zero? is this correct?
Yes - in simple terms, ignoring the moon and tidal effects

also if you sub in 0 in the gravitational field intensity formula for the radius, you get a value over zero, meaning it is undefined
You also have zero mass inside that radius so it's zero/zero.
In fact you should be thinking about 'r' as the distance to each bit of mass above you - and since the Earth is all around you there is an equal force in every direction out from the centre - hence zero overall field

Last edited:
I Like Pi said:
You presumably are asking about gravitational acceleration, and yes, this is correct. A reasonably good model for the Earth is that it is a sphere whose density is a function of distance from the center of the Earth (and nothing else). With this model, the gravitation acceleration at some point inside the surface of the Earth depends only on that portion of the Earth that is closer to the center of the Earth than is the point in question. Imagine dividing the Earth into two parts, one part being the portion of the Earth closer to the center of the Earth than the point in question and the other part being the portion of the Earth from from the center of the Earth than the point in question. The gravitational acceleration at the point in question is the sum of the gravitational acceleration toward the inner part plus the gravitational acceleration toward the outer part. The contribution of the outer portion is identically zero because the gravitational acceleration anywhere inside a spherical shell of mass is identically zero. All that remains is the contribution from the inner portion,

[tex]a(r) = \frac{GM_{\text{inner}}}{r^2}[/tex]

where Minner is the mass of that inner portion.

also if you sub in 0 in the gravitational field intensity formula for the radius, you get a value over zero, meaning it is undefined... so i can't really use that to support why it is zero at the center...
That's because you are using Newton's law incorrectly. The correct usage is to only use the mass at or below the point in question.

If the density of the Earth is finite at every point inside the Earth, including at the center, then as r approaches zero, the inner mass will approach zero much faster than will r2. That in turn means that a(r)→0 as r→0.

Thank you very much! You have both helped! I really appreciate it!

for any help

I can confirm that the gravitational field intensity at the center of the Earth is indeed zero. This is because at the center of the Earth, the gravitational forces from all directions cancel out, resulting in a net force of zero. This is in accordance with Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. At the center of the Earth, the distance to all points on the surface is equal, resulting in an equal but opposite force of gravity, canceling each other out. Furthermore, the Earth's mass surrounding the center also contributes to the cancellation of gravitational forces. Therefore, the gravitational field intensity at the center of the Earth is zero.

1. What is the value of the gravitational field intensity at the center of the earth?

The value of the gravitational field intensity at the center of the earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This is the same value as the acceleration due to gravity at the earth's surface.

2. Does the gravitational field intensity at the center of the earth vary depending on location?

No, the gravitational field intensity at the center of the earth is constant regardless of location. This is because the earth's mass and radius are the same at all points within the center.

3. How is the gravitational field intensity at the center of the earth calculated?

The gravitational field intensity at the center of the earth is calculated using the formula g = G(M/R²), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the earth, and R is the distance from the center of the earth to the point of calculation.

4. What factors affect the gravitational field intensity at the center of the earth?

The only factor that affects the gravitational field intensity at the center of the earth is the mass of the earth. This is because the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses.

5. Can the gravitational field intensity at the center of the earth be measured?

It is not possible to directly measure the gravitational field intensity at the center of the earth, as it is impossible to reach the center of the earth. However, it can be calculated using the formula mentioned in question 3 and by measuring the mass and radius of the earth.