What is the ratio of hydrogen to helium in the Sun?

In summary, the problem is asking for the ratio of hydrogen atoms to helium atoms in the sun. One solution is to count all the hydrogens and heliums participating in one solar pp chain, while another solution is to use the mass fractions of X=0.71 and Y=0.26 to calculate the atomic proportions and then divide the hydrogen figure by the helium figure. However, the sun's composition has changed over time and the mass fraction of helium is now over 60%, so the atomic ratio would need to be integrated over the whole volume of the sun.
shirin
Hi everyone,
There is problem that asks how many hydrogen atoms are there in sun for each helium atom.
I don't know which solution is correct:
1) to count all the hydrogens and heliums participating in one solar pp chain,
or,
2) as X=0.71 and Y=0.26, there is (0.71/0.26)*2 H for each He.
Thanks for help.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
shirin said:
Hi everyone,
There is problem that asks how many hydrogen atoms are there in sun for each helium atom.
I don't know which solution is correct:
1) to count all the hydrogens and heliums participating in one solar pp chain,
or,
2) as X=0.71 and Y=0.26, there is (0.71/0.26)*2 H for each He.
Thanks for help.

The figures X & Y are mass fractions. In terms of numbers of atoms of each we need to divide by their relative masses, roughly 1:4, giving us 0.71 and 0.052, then divide those by the sum I.e. 0.71/0.762 & 0.052/0.762 which gives their atomic proportions. Divide the hydrogen figure by the helium figure and you have how many hydrogens for every helium.

thank you.

The 26% He by weight is more representative of the composition of the sun at the time of formation. The sun has been burning H to He for 4.5 billion years, so according to the standard solar model, the interior of the sun is now over 60% He. To calculate the atomic ratio, you would need to integrate over the whole volume - I don't know the answer, but I'm sure it is more than 26% He by weight when averaged over the whole sun. Here are a couple of references with Figure 2 in the first reference showing the mass fraction as a function of radius, and Table 1 in the second reference giving the He mass fraction in the core at >60%.

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~france/PAPERS/solmodel.pdf

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0204331

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like to provide some clarification on the abundance of hydrogen in the Sun. The Sun is primarily composed of hydrogen and helium, with hydrogen making up about 71% of its mass and helium making up about 26%. This means that for every 1 helium atom, there are about 2.7 hydrogen atoms in the Sun. This ratio is consistent throughout the Sun's interior, so both methods mentioned (counting all atoms involved in the solar pp chain or using the X and Y values) would result in a similar answer. However, it is important to note that this ratio may vary in different regions of the Sun, such as the outer layers where other elements may be present. Overall, the Sun is mostly made up of hydrogen, with smaller amounts of helium and other elements. I hope this helps clarify the abundance of hydrogen in the Sun.

1. What is the percentage of hydrogen in the Sun?

The Sun is composed of about 73% hydrogen by mass.

2. How does the abundance of hydrogen in the Sun compare to other elements?

Hydrogen is by far the most abundant element in the Sun, with helium coming in second at about 25% of the Sun's mass.

3. Why is hydrogen so abundant in the Sun?

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, so it makes sense that it would also be the most abundant in the Sun. This is because hydrogen is the simplest and lightest element, making it easy for it to form and be present in high quantities.

4. Has the abundance of hydrogen in the Sun changed over time?

Scientists believe that the abundance of hydrogen in the Sun has remained relatively constant over its lifetime, with only minor fluctuations.

5. How do scientists measure the abundance of hydrogen in the Sun?

Scientists use a technique called spectroscopy to measure the abundance of hydrogen in the Sun. This involves analyzing the light emitted by the Sun and looking for specific wavelengths of light that correspond to hydrogen atoms.