Help with High School Physics Homework

In summary, the problem involves a car and passengers of mass 800kg being released from rest at a height of 20m above the ground and traveling 120m along a track until reaching a height of 15m. A constant frictional force of 250N acts between the car and the track. The previous question involved calculating the work done against friction, which was found to be 30,000J. To solve for the kinetic energy at point C, the total mechanical energy equation (PE + KE) is used. It is important to note that the total mechanical energy at point A is equal to the potential energy (mgh), and the total mechanical energy at point C will be less due to work done against friction.
Mark Rice
Hi, this is my first time using this forum, so i have no idea if this is even the correct place to be asking for help. I have a problem with my High School Higher Physics Homework. The question is as follow :

Homework Statement

During one run, a car and passengers of mass 800kg are released from rest at point A, a height of 20m above the ground. The car travels a distance of 120m along the track until it reaches point C, a height of 15m above the ground. A constant frictional force of 250N acts between the car and the track as the car moves from A to C. (A diagram of the track is included, see attachments). Find the Kinetic Energy of the Car on reaching point C.

Homework Equations

In the previous question i have been asked to calculate the work done against friction in moving from A to C, and i calculated this to be 30,000 N (W=fd W=120 * 250) (Not sure if this is correct though?) I think Ep=mgh is maybe relevant and obviously to work out the kinetic energy Ek=1/2mv^2 will be used.

The Attempt at a Solution

I genuinlly have no idea where to start on this question ? I am thinking that it will maybe have something to do with Potential energy loss, and the energy lost due to friction but i am completely confuzed. Can anyone please help me ?

Attachments

• Rollercoaster.png
    Rollercoaster.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark Rice said:

Homework Equations

In the previous question i have been asked to calculate the work done against friction in moving from A to C, and i calculated this to be 30,000 N (W=fd W=120 * 250) (Not sure if this is correct though?)
Correct.
I think Ep=mgh is maybe relevant and obviously to work out the kinetic energy Ek=1/2mv^2 will be used.
Definitely.

The Attempt at a Solution

I genuinlly have no idea where to start on this question ? I am thinking that it will maybe have something to do with Potential energy loss, and the energy lost due to friction but i am completely confuzed.
Think in terms of mechanical energy. You start out with some total mechanical energy at A, but you end up with less at C due to work done against friction. Set up an equation expressing this.

So would 30,000N previously worked out be the Energy 'lost to the surroundings', and also, if I am working out the kinetic energy, i assume i am not supposed to be working out the speed and using the kinetic energy equation, so how do i work it out? Sorry I'm really confuzed.

Mark Rice said:
So would 30,000N previously worked out be the Energy 'lost to the surroundings',
Yes.
and also, if I am working out the kinetic energy, i assume i am not supposed to be working out the speed and using the kinetic energy equation, so how do i work it out?
Total mechanical energy = PE + KE

So what's the total mechanical energy at point A?
Then you can figure out what it is at point C. And use that to solve for the KE at point C.

Ohhhhhhhh, thanks very much, I forgot that Total mechanical energy = PE + KE, Thanks for the help :)

Just realized i should have written down 30,000J instead of 30,000N as it is energy but that's just a units error, but once again, thanks.

1. How can I improve my understanding of high school physics concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of high school physics is to practice solving problems on a regular basis. You can also try watching videos or attending tutoring sessions to reinforce the material. Additionally, make sure to attend class regularly and ask your teacher for help if you are struggling with a particular concept.

2. How do I know if my answers to physics homework questions are correct?

One way to check if your answers are correct is to use a solution manual or ask your teacher for the correct solutions. You can also try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same answer. Remember to always show your work and double check your calculations for any mistakes.

3. What are some good resources for finding help with high school physics homework?

There are many resources available for help with high school physics homework. You can use online tutorials, reference books, or ask a tutor for assistance. Your teacher may also have recommended resources or provide additional help during office hours.

4. How can I manage my time effectively when completing high school physics homework?

To manage your time effectively, it is important to set a schedule and stick to it. Break down your homework into smaller tasks and give yourself specific deadlines for each task. Also, make sure to eliminate any distractions and find a quiet and comfortable study space to maximize your productivity.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular high school physics homework assignment?

If you are struggling with a homework assignment, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. You can ask your teacher for clarification or attend a tutoring session. It is also helpful to review your notes and textbook for additional information. Remember to not get discouraged and keep practicing until you understand the concept.