SOS : Textbook for Thermodynamics & complex analysis

In summary, the conversation discussed recommendations for thermodynamics and complex analysis books. For thermodynamics, the books mentioned were Thermal Physics by Schroeder, Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics by Greiner, and Concepts in Thermal Physics by Blundell. For complex analysis, the books recommended were Wunsch and Brown and Churchill, with Wunsch being praised for its science applications and abundance of examples.
arielle
Hi all,

I would like some recommendations for thermodynamics. It's my first course in thermo. I'm currently using : Classical and Statistical Thermodynamics by Ashley Carter.

I like the book, however it lacks examples! I am someone who learns by example...so this book isn't doing me much good.

Also, I'm doing Complex Analysis. Also my first course dealing with complex numbers. I really need a book that keeps beginners in mind with heaps of examples and lots of details.

I'm using : Fundamentals of Complex Analysis with Applications to Engineering, Science, and Mathematics by Snaff/Snider

This book also lacks examples, and I strongly feel that it's talking to itself...

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For thermo, the three best books that I can recommend are Thermal Physics - Schroeder, Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics - Greiner, Concepts in Thermal Physics - Blundell.

For complex analysis, I like Wunsch. Also Brown and Churchill isn't bad. Wunsch has better science applications and lots and lots of examples. An outstanding book for a first go at it.

thanks! I'll look them up! :smile:

1. What is the purpose of the "SOS: Textbook for Thermodynamics & complex analysis"?

The purpose of this textbook is to provide a comprehensive understanding of thermodynamics and complex analysis, which are essential topics in the field of science and engineering. It aims to help students develop a strong foundation in these subjects through clear explanations, examples, and practice problems.

2. Who is this textbook intended for?

This textbook is suitable for undergraduate and graduate students studying science, engineering, or mathematics. It is also a valuable resource for researchers and professionals in these fields who want to refresh their knowledge of thermodynamics and complex analysis.

3. How is this textbook different from other textbooks on thermodynamics and complex analysis?

This textbook stands out for its clear and concise explanations, as well as its focus on practical applications of these topics. It also includes a wide range of practice problems and real-world examples to help students strengthen their problem-solving skills.

4. Is this textbook suitable for self-study?

Yes, this textbook is designed to be a self-study resource for students who want to learn thermodynamics and complex analysis at their own pace. It includes a comprehensive set of practice problems with solutions, as well as review questions and exercises at the end of each chapter.

5. Can this textbook be used as a reference for research or professional work?

Yes, this textbook can be used as a reference for research or professional work in the fields of science and engineering. It provides a thorough understanding of thermodynamics and complex analysis, which are important concepts in many areas of science and technology.