Engineering or Maths&Physics degree?

In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between studying for a degree in engineering or in mathematics and physics. The speaker is currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Physics but is unsure about the job prospects in this field. They are considering switching to mechanical engineering, but are not sure if they would enjoy it. They also mention that there are more people choosing engineering over maths and physics and wonder why this is the case. The other person advises them to follow their interests rather than focusing on job opportunities.
bernvall
Engineering or Maths&Physics degree??

OK so currently I am a first year student studying a Bachelor in Science in Mathematics and Physics. I am enjoying it quite a lot, i love problem solving and the satisfaction you get once you manage a question. However i am feeling doubtful about what type of jobs i would be able to get into with this degree (besides teaching, not really interested in that). So I am not sure if i should repeat first year and do mechanical engineering instead, though I am not so sure how much id enjoy it. Also what's weird is that there are way more people who chose engineering than maths and physics. Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org

Do what interests you, not what you think might get you a "better job."

bernvall said:
also what's weird is that there are way more people who chose engineering than maths and physics. Why is that?

$ $ $ $

Also what's weird is that there are way more people who chose engineering than maths and physics. Why is that?

Some people choose to study; others choose to build. MathematicalPhysicist listed only one symptom, one which I would vehemently deny applies to all or even most engineers. I want to create things using the frontiers of knowledge, and in doing so better mankind. I'd be an engineer if they paid me in peanuts.

I am quite sure the reason I listed explains why there seem to be more people in Engineering than in maths and physics.

I am quite sure we can't say there are more people in Engineering cause there are more people like you who prefer to build something.

1. What is the difference between an Engineering degree and a Maths&Physics degree?

An Engineering degree focuses on the practical application of scientific principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, and systems. A Maths&Physics degree, on the other hand, focuses on the theoretical and mathematical aspects of science, such as understanding and explaining natural phenomena and developing mathematical models.

2. What are the career options for someone with an Engineering or Maths&Physics degree?

Both degrees can lead to a wide range of career options. An Engineering degree can lead to careers in fields such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and aerospace engineering. A Maths&Physics degree can lead to careers in fields such as research, data analysis, finance, and teaching.

3. Is an Engineering degree more challenging than a Maths&Physics degree?

Both degrees require a strong foundation in mathematics and science, and both can be challenging in their own ways. An Engineering degree may be more hands-on and involve more practical projects, while a Maths&Physics degree may involve more theoretical and mathematical concepts. Ultimately, the difficulty of either degree will depend on the individual's strengths and interests.

4. Can I pursue both an Engineering and Maths&Physics degree at the same time?

It is possible to pursue a double major or dual degree in Engineering and Maths&Physics, but it may require a significant time commitment and may not be offered at all universities. It is important to carefully consider the workload and potential career paths before pursuing both degrees simultaneously.

5. What skills are necessary for success in an Engineering or Maths&Physics degree program?

Some important skills for success in either degree program include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, critical thinking skills, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are important for engineers who may need to work with a team to design and implement projects.