Why Is the Radius (1-x) Instead of (1+x)?

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses the labeling of points on an exponential curve and the horizontal distance from a point to the line x = 1. The speaker also clarifies that the sign of a variable cannot be determined by whether it has a + or - in front of it and provides an example of this.
Miike012
My work is in the paint doc... my only question is... why is the radi 1-x and not 1+x?

My reason for why I think it is 1 - x is in the paint doc, please let me know why I am wrong.. thank you.

Attachments

• VOL.jpg
    VOL.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
My work is in the paint doc... my only question is... why is the radi 1-x and not 1+x?

My reason for why I think it is 1 - x is in the paint doc, please let me know why I am wrong.. thank you.
Your image is too faint for me to read.

Try this image.

Attachments

• VOL.jpg
    VOL.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 369
Much better - thanks!

The horizontal distance from a point (x, y) on your exponential curve to the line x = 1 is 1 - x. For most of the interval [-1, 0], the x values are negative, so this distance will generally be larger than 1, but less than 2.

Also, the point is labelled incorrectly. It should be (x, f(x)), not (-x, f(-x)).

it should be (x,f(x)) even though its in the 2nd quad? is this general for all quad that x and f(x) be positive when labeling an arbitrary coordinate ?

Miike012 said:
it should be (x,f(x)) even though its in the 2nd quad?
Yes.
Miike012 said:
is this general for all quad that x and f(x) be positive when labeling an arbitrary coordinate ?
You are assuming that x is always positive and -x is always negative - no, this isn't true. You can't tell the sign of a variable by whether it has a + or - in front of it. For example, -b could be positive or negative, depending on the value of b. Similarly, +c could be positive or negative, depending on the value of c. Note that we don't normally write +c, but I'm just trying to make a point.

Think about the x-axis. If x is a number to the left of zero, it's negative. We DO NOT write this as -x.

Thank you so much that really helps.

1. How do you calculate the volume of a rectangular prism?

To calculate the volume of a rectangular prism, you need to multiply the length, width, and height of the prism. The formula for calculating volume is V = lwh, where V is the volume, l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

2. What is the formula for calculating volume?

The formula for calculating volume depends on the shape of the object. For a rectangular prism, the formula is V = lwh. For a cylinder, the formula is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height. For a sphere, the formula is V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius.

3. How do you find the volume of an irregularly shaped object?

To find the volume of an irregularly shaped object, you can use the water displacement method. Fill a graduated cylinder with a known amount of water, then place the object in the cylinder and measure the new water level. The difference in volume between the two levels is the volume of the object.

4. Can you calculate the volume of a liquid?

Yes, the volume of a liquid can be calculated by using a graduated cylinder or measuring cup to measure the amount of liquid in milliliters (mL) or liters (L).

5. Why is calculating volume important?

Calculating volume is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows us to determine the amount of space an object occupies, which can be useful in designing and building structures, conducting experiments, and understanding the properties of different substances.