Finding equation for potential between concentric charged spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for the potential V(r) in the region r_a < r < r_b, where a metal sphere with radius r_a is supported on an insulating stand at the center of a hollow, metal spherical shell with radius r_b, with charges +q and -q on the inner and outer spheres respectively. The equation for V(r) is found by integrating the electric field E(r) from r_b to r and taking into account that the electric field outside the r_b shell is 0 according to Gauss' Law. The final equation for V(r) is q/(4πε_0)(1/r-1/r_b).
Minhtran1092

Homework Statement

A metal sphere with radius r_a is supported on an insulating stand at the center of a hollow, metal spherical shell with radius r_b. There is charge +q on the inner sphere and charge -q on the outer spherical shell. Take the potential V to be zero when the distance r from the center of the spheres is infinite.

What is the equation V(r) that models the potential in the region r_a < r < r_b?

Homework Equations

ΔV = -∫E(r)∂r
ψ=Q/ε_0
E∫A = ψ; ∫A = 4πr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. V(∞) - V(r) = ∫E(r)∂r (from ∞ to r) = ∫E(r)∂r (from ∞ to r_b) + ∫E(r)∂r (from r_b to r);
2. ∫E(r)∂r (from ∞ to r_b) should evaluate to a constant since E(r) = 0 by Gauss' Law (Taking the Gaussian object to have r > r_b, the enclosed charge is -q + q = 0; Electric flux = 0 and therefore electrical field outside the r_b shell is 0.)
3. ∫E(r)∂r (from ∞ to r) = Constant + ∫E(r)∂r (from r_b to r)
4. ∫E(r)∂r (from r_b to r) evaluates to q/(ε_0*4*π)| (from r_b to r)

V(r_a< r < r_b) = q/(ε_0*4*π)| (from r_b to r) is as far as I got.

Did I make a wrong assumption?

Attachments

• asdf.png
    asdf.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,906
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no constant in a definite integral. The electric field outside the big sphere is zero, so its integral between infinity and rb is zero, too.
When integrating between rb and r, you have to get a difference of two terms, when plugging in r and rb. ehild

ehild said:
There is no constant in a definite integral. The electric field outside the big sphere is zero, so its integral between infinity and rb is zero, too.
When integrating between rb and r, you have to get a difference of two terms, when plugging in r and rb.

ehild

Ok. V(r) should equal ∫E(r)∂d (from r_b to r);
ψ = Q_enclosed/ε_0 = +q/ε_0 = E(r)*4πr^2; E(r) = q/(ε_0*4*π)
E(r_a< r< r_b) = q/(ε_0*4*π*r^2); Gauss' law

Integrating E(r_a<r<r_b) gives q/(ε_0*4*π) ∫1/r^2 ∂r = q/(ε_0*4*π) [-1/r | (from r to r_b)] =
q/(ε_0*4*π)[-1/r + 1/r_b]. This isn't the answer though =\.

On the other side, it is the integral of V . What is it? Take care,

[tex]\int_{r_b} ^{r }{dV}=-\int_{r b}^{r}{Edr}[/tex]

ehild said:
On the other side, it is the integral of V . What is it? Take care,

[tex]\int_{r_b} ^{r }{dV}=-\int_{r b}^{r}{Edr}[/tex]

I don't understand what this equation represents. I also tried evaluating it which did not give me the correct answer.

On the right side:
[tex]\int_{r_B}^{r}{Edr}[/tex] gives [itex]\frac{q}{ε_0*4*\pi}[/itex]([itex]\frac{-1}{r}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{r_b}[/itex]).

On the left side, you get: V(r) + V(r_b); Where V(r_b) is [itex]\frac{q}{\epsilon*4*\pi*r_b}[/itex]

However, [itex]\frac{q}{ε_0*4*\pi}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{-1}{r_b}[/itex])-([itex]\frac{q}{\epsilon*4*\pi*r_b}[/itex]) isn't correct

Last edited:
Minhtran1092 said:
On the left side, you get: V(r) + V(r_b); Where V(r_b) is [itex]\frac{q}{\epsilon*4*\pi*r_b}[/itex]

That statement is entirely wrong.
[tex]\int_{r_b} ^{r }{dV}=V(r_b)-V(r). [/tex]

As for V(rb), think of the definition of potential. It is connected to work; and how much work is done when a test charge comes from infinity to rb, when the electric field is zero?

ehild

ehild said:
That statement is entirely wrong.
[tex]\int_{r_b} ^{r }{dV}=V(r_b)-V(r). [/tex]

As for V(rb), think of the definition of potential. It is connected to work; and how much work is done when a test charge comes from infinity to rb, when the electric field is zero?

ehild

I'm sorry that was a typo. You're correct the left side evaluates to V(r_b)-V(r).

It turns out I had the correct answer (the negative of Edr from r_b to r). The online system to which I submitted my answer didn't interpret "1/4piE_0" to be the "k" constant.

Minhtran1092 said:
It turns out I had the correct answer (the negative of Edr from r_b to r). The online system to which I submitted my answer didn't interpret "1/4piE_0" to be the "k" constant.

Stupid program...

ehild

1. What is the equation for potential between two concentric charged spheres?

The equation for potential between two concentric charged spheres is V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the sphere, and r is the distance between the two spheres.

2. How do you determine the potential between two concentric charged spheres?

To determine the potential between two concentric charged spheres, you can use the equation V = kQ/r. First, determine the values of k and Q for each sphere. Then, measure the distance between the two spheres and plug in the values to solve for the potential.

3. Can the potential between two concentric charged spheres be negative?

Yes, the potential between two concentric charged spheres can be negative. This occurs when the charges on the spheres have opposite signs, causing the potential to be negative.

4. What factors affect the potential between two concentric charged spheres?

The potential between two concentric charged spheres is affected by the amount of charge on each sphere, the distance between the two spheres, and the medium between the spheres. It is also affected by any external charges or fields present.

5. How does the potential between two concentric charged spheres change as the distance between them increases?

As the distance between two concentric charged spheres increases, the potential between them decreases. This is because the electric force between the two spheres decreases as the distance increases, resulting in a lower potential.