Program that accelerates video play speed and keeps audio at normal pitch

In summary, the speaker has been interested in a function on Youtube that allows for speeding up videos while maintaining normal audio pitch. They have found that some videos are too long and the speakers tend to ramble or speak slowly. They are looking for a program that can do the same, but Adobe Premiere, which has this feature, is expensive. It is unclear if this feature is possible for videos that the speaker is watching or only for their own produced videos.
vanmaiden
I've been interested in this function Youtube offers on videos ever since I first used it a few months ago. It's amazing. Some videos are just way too long. The speakers will have something very informative to say, but they'll just ramble and/or speak very slowly. For some reason, Youtube only offers this feature that speeds up a video while keeping the audio at a faster rate yet at a normal pitch on some videos. I was hoping there was some program out there that would allow me to do just this.

Thank you

Computer science news on Phys.org
Adobe Premiere includes the ability to change speed without changing pitch or vice versa in videos, but it's somewhat expensive. I'm not sure what other video editting programs have this feature.

vanmaiden said:
I've been interested in this function Youtube offers on videos ever since I first used it a few months ago. It's amazing. Some videos are just way too long. The speakers will have something very informative to say, but they'll just ramble and/or speak very slowly. For some reason, Youtube only offers this feature that speeds up a video while keeping the audio at a faster rate yet at a normal pitch on some videos. I was hoping there was some program out there that would allow me to do just this.

Thank you
Are you looking to do this to someone's video you're watching, or are you looking to do this to a video of your own you're producing?

The latter is possible, I doubt the former is.

1. How does the program accelerate video play speed without distorting the audio?

The program uses a process called time-stretching, where the audio is compressed or expanded to match the new video speed without changing the pitch. This allows the video to play at a faster speed while keeping the audio at its original pitch.

2. Can the program be used on any type of video file?

Yes, the program can be used on any type of video file as long as it is compatible with the media player being used.

3. Is there a limit to how much the video can be accelerated?

The program typically allows for a range of 1.25x to 2x acceleration, but this may vary depending on the capabilities of the media player and the hardware of the device being used.

4. Will the quality of the video and audio be affected by the acceleration?

The quality of the video and audio may be slightly affected, as the program is compressing or expanding the audio to match the new video speed. However, the difference should be minimal and not noticeable to most viewers.

5. Can the program be used to slow down video play speed?

Yes, the program can also be used to slow down video play speed while maintaining the original pitch of the audio. This can be useful for watching videos in slow motion or for transcribing audio.