Is Physics Forums Moving to a New Server Tomorrow? Stay Updated Here!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Firefox 17.0.1 for Windows :frown:In summary, Due to an imminent disk drive failure, the decision has been made to switch to a new server. There should be little downtime of approximately 2 hours over the next couple of days, mostly due to DNS propagation. The new server will be faster and ready to serve Physics Forums discussions at high speeds. Due to this development, the announcement of PF Award winners will likely be postponed until Thursday. Thank you for your understanding.
Facing imminent disk drive failure, we've decided to take this opportunity and move to an entirely new server. No data will be lost and there should be little downtime (~2h) over the new couple days. Mostly due to any DNS propagation. It will be a faster server ready to serve you PF discussions at great speeds to quench your thirst! Due to this development we'll likely wait to announce PF Award winners till Thursday! Thanks for your understanding!

If we do encounter any unexpected hiccups we'll post updates at
http://www.facebook.com/physicsforums

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Someone back up the kitten thread!

Evo said:

BURN IT! DROWN IT! THROW IT INTO THE DEPTHS OF HELL WHERE IT SHALL NEVER EMERGE AGAIN!

Oh alright, you can have some catnip and a goldfish.
*Pets the kitty*

Drakkith said:
BURN IT! DROWN IT! THROW IT INTO THE DEPTHS OF HELL WHERE IT SHALL NEVER EMERGE AGAIN!

Oh alright, you can have some catnip and a goldfish.
*Pets the kitty*
Unhappy Cat!

http://i.imgur.com/NzECN.png

Evo said:

WHA!--NOOO!--KITTEH--*faints*

Greg Bernhardt said:
No data will be lost and there should be little downtime (~2h) over the new couple days. s[/url]

:uhh:
The world ending's sooner than 21 December!

Greg Bernhardt said:
No data will be lost and there should be little downtime (~2h) over the new couple days.

HAH! I'll believe it when I see it!

:)

Zz.

Do we get a countdown to the "physics cliff"?

jtbell said:
Do we get a countdown to the "physics cliff"?

Nope, we're driving blind... :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
:eek:

Greg Bernhardt said:

Evo, put ALL the kittehs in the car. We are going to need something to cushion us in the crash.

Greg Bernhardt said:
In a few minutes I'll be closing the forum.

Farewell all! It has been a good run! I shall see you all on the other side!

Well folks, I hate to say it but I screwed up. The data transfer went a bit haywire and I'm going to have to do it over again. I'll be moving the database last so I can turn them back on for a bit. I'll expect to close them again in a few hours. Sorry!

Drakkith said:

Meanie !

Thank you Greg! The most important thread on the forum was saved...The Kitten thread.

Evo said:
Thank you Greg! The most important thread on the forum was saved...The Kitten thread.

Where's the "Evil Monsters That Prey On Kittens" thread? Oh no...NOOO! It's GOOONE!

Drakkith said:
Where's the "Evil Monsters That Prey On Kittens" thread? Oh no...NOOO! It's GOOONE!

Double meanie !

Drakkith said:

Hah! I saved that one on my hard drive. What's it worth to ya'?

berkeman said:
Hah! I saved that one on my hard drive. What's it worth to ya'?

Two kittens and a baby otter.

Drakkith said:
Two kittens and a baby otter.

Deal. :devil:

(I sure hope Evo and micromass don't see this thread...)

berkeman said:
Deal. :devil:

(I sure hope Evo and micromass don't see this thread...)
:cry: I want two kittens and a baby otter! :cry:

Evo said:
:cry: I want two kittens and a baby otter! :cry:

You can have them. They just won't be...well...we won't say anymore on that subject.

Yay, we're back! I've been having withdrawal symptoms all morning and afternoon.

PF rises like a phoenix, reborn, better than ever. Ready to flex its wings and take flight!

Thank you Greg for the hard work you made to improve PF! Now we could see how terrible boring the World were without the little world PF. Keep it alive forever!

ehild

Last edited:
A fantastic new server, Greg!
In particular, the processing of "b"'s and "f"'s seems particularly improved!
:smile:

arildno said:
In particular, the processing of "b"'s and "f"'s seems particularly improved!
:smile:

Haha that's what we ordered! New high technology! However that comes at the price of slower "Q"'s and "V"'s, but who uses those letters!?

Now if you could speed up my DSL, PF would be FTL. :tongue2:

dlgoff said:
Now if you could speed up my DSL, PF would be FTL. :tongue2:
I need that, too. My "dsl" barely let's me watch YouTube videos or the advertisements that precede them.

turbo said:
I need that, too. My "dsl" barely let's me watch YouTube videos or the advertisements that precede them.
Actually, I have no complaint. But more is always better.

I was curious about my DSL speed, so I installed Speed Test and Diagnostics (Firefox extension for Windows).

attachment.php?attachmentid=53946&stc=1&d=1355530575.jpg

Attachments

• currentspeed.jpg
    currentspeed.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 506
<h2>1. What is the reason for Physics Forums moving to a new server?</h2><p>The current server is reaching its capacity and upgrading to a new server will improve the overall performance and user experience of the site.</p><h2>2. When will the move to the new server take place?</h2><p>The move is scheduled for tomorrow, and updates will be provided throughout the process.</p><h2>3. Will there be any downtime during the server migration?</h2><p>There may be some brief periods of downtime during the migration, but we will do our best to keep it to a minimum and keep users informed.</p><h2>4. How will I be notified of any updates or changes during the server move?</h2><p>Updates and notifications will be posted on the Physics Forums website and social media channels.</p><h2>5. Will there be any changes to the website or user accounts after the server move?</h2><p>There will be no changes to the website or user accounts. The only difference will be improved performance and stability of the site.</p>

1. What is the reason for Physics Forums moving to a new server?

The current server is reaching its capacity and upgrading to a new server will improve the overall performance and user experience of the site.

2. When will the move to the new server take place?

The move is scheduled for tomorrow, and updates will be provided throughout the process.

3. Will there be any downtime during the server migration?

There may be some brief periods of downtime during the migration, but we will do our best to keep it to a minimum and keep users informed.

4. How will I be notified of any updates or changes during the server move?

Updates and notifications will be posted on the Physics Forums website and social media channels.

5. Will there be any changes to the website or user accounts after the server move?

There will be no changes to the website or user accounts. The only difference will be improved performance and stability of the site.