How does fixed line level attenuation work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fixed line level and how it is affected by volume control in a hifi system. The line output remains constant regardless of the volume control setting and is intended to be connected to different types of devices. The conversation also mentions a block diagram which shows the connection of the line output in a traditional hifi amplifier.
ohms
hello all

first post here and I'm interested in some info you people may hold :smile:

in layman's terms I'm trying to understand how a fixed line level can attenuate.
according to wikis line level page the 'the signal out or line out remains at a constant level, regardless of the current setting of the volume control', i understand the statement but not the engineering behind it i.e how you attenuate a signal that is fixed

hope you can shed some light here

regards

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't, they aren't talking about the same signals.

Typically a hifi system will have several outputs. For example there might be speaker outputs, line outputs, headphone outputs etc Each output is intended to be connected to a different type of device. Some systems will even have digital outputs, perhaps capable of streaming the signal to a network.

Normally if the system has a volume control it only affects the speaker outputs but sometimes they are designed to affect other outputs as well. Normally the line output is not affected by the volume controls.

Here is a block diagram..

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/images/audio.gif

Although not shown on the diagram the line output would be connected after the preamp but before the tone and volume control block. A Line Input might also be provided and this would also be connected at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS. I've looked for a better block diagram online but to my surprise I've not been able to find one showing a traditional hifi amplifier.

What is line level?

Line level refers to the standard signal level that is used to transmit audio signals through cables. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and is the optimal level at which an audio signal can be transmitted without distortion or interference.

What is attenuation?

Attenuation is the measurement of the reduction in signal strength as it travels through a medium, such as a cable or wire. In the context of line level, attenuation refers to the decrease in signal strength that occurs as an audio signal travels through a cable, resulting in a weaker signal at the end of the cable.

Why is line level important?

Line level is important because it ensures that audio signals are transmitted at an optimal level, without distortion or interference. If the signal is too weak, it may result in poor audio quality, while a signal that is too strong can overload and damage equipment.

How is line level measured?

Line level is typically measured in decibels (dB) using a voltmeter or other audio level meter. The standard line level for consumer audio equipment is -10dBV, while professional audio equipment typically uses a line level of +4dBu.

What factors affect line level and attenuation?

The length and quality of the cable, as well as the output and input impedance of the audio equipment, can all affect line level and attenuation. Other factors such as electromagnetic interference and temperature can also impact the strength and quality of the audio signal.