How Does Marissa Mayer Inspire Vision and Innovation at Yahoo?

In summary, Marissa Mayer is a brilliant CEO who communicates her vision effectively. She has made significant progress in areas such as mobile application development, search, and advertising. She is also attempting to expand into the social realm. Her margin of superiority over other tech companies is substantial. I find her incredibly intriguing and believe she will continue to do great things for Yahoo!
phion
Gold Member
I've been following Marissa Mayer, the new CEO of Yahoo!, for quite some time now. I think she's magnificent, brilliant, and sexy. In a recent article she talks about the importance of internalizing a common vision and the acquisition of new ideas. Much of what she talks about can be found in the annals of psychology (William James, for example, in his essays on habit) and resonates very much with what some of the great minds of physics have preached (Einstein's ideology about ideas in general, "If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough."), when she describes her technique regarding business proposals, she won't waste any time on someone who can't describe what their business or objective is in 140 words or less. I find her incredibly intriguing to say the least, and I think she will continue to do great things for Yahoo! beyond increasing quarterly revenues and share prices.

As the great Steve Jobs once said that vision is the key to inspiring passionate, creative, and smart people: "Leadership is having a vision, being able to articulate it so people around you can understand it, and getting a consensus around a common vision".

I couldn't agree more.

Yahoo's Marissa Mayer Artfully Communicates An Inspiring Vision

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So are you long or short on the stock?

Well, if I had any investment, I would go long.

Last edited:
Right so she is able to do the leadership speak (not actual leadership mind you, but the kind of goblygook talk about leadership that gets applause at TED conferences)

The key question to my mind is what does yahoo have to offer that some other tech company (particularly Google) can't do better? I have trouble thinking of anything which leads me to believe that the company is following the well trod path of Hewlett Packard, AOL and any other number of tech hasbeens

BWV said:
Right so she is able to do the leadership speak (not actual leadership mind you, but the kind of goblygook talk about leadership that gets applause at TED conferences)

The key question to my mind is what does yahoo have to offer that some other tech company (particularly Google) can't do better? I have trouble thinking of anything which leads me to believe that the company is following the well trod path of Hewlett Packard, AOL and any other number of tech hasbeens

Her primary focal points as of now have been mobile application (refining while reducing the bloat), search, advertising, and services (news, travel, real estate, automotive, etc.). It's all about 'getting clicks', and now she's attempting to expand into the social realm (with a failed bid for Facebook, nonetheless) and continuing to pursue start-up aqui-hires for talented teams and new ideas.

The margin between YHOO and companies like GOOG and FB is considerable, Google is a market monster when it comes to search and ads, while FB has the reigns in social. Marissa is trying to close those gaps. What you're not realizing is Marissa is coming from a 20 year tenure as a Google VP, she had been there since the beginning, so she knows what she wants and how to get it, and in my humble opinion doing a good job. She has only been CEO for about seven months, yet still Yahoo's returns have been higher then they ever were. It's hard not to pay attention to her.

phion said:
I've been following Marissa Mayer, the new CEO of Yahoo!, for quite some time now. I think she's magnificent, brilliant, and sexy. In a recent article she talks about the importance of internalizing a common vision and the acquisition of new ideas. Much of what she talks about can be found in the annals of psychology (William James, for example, in his essays on habit) and resonates very much with what some of the great minds of physics have preached (Einstein's ideology about ideas in general, "If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough."), when she describes her technique regarding business proposals, she won't waste any time on someone who can't describe what their business or objective is in 140 words or less. I find her incredibly intriguing to say the least, and I think she will continue to do great things for Yahoo! beyond increasing quarterly revenues and share prices.

I couldn't agree more.

Yahoo's Marissa Mayer Artfully Communicates An Inspiring Vision

It's called selling the sizzle ( not the steak).

What is "The Vision of Business"?

"The Vision of Business" refers to the overall purpose or goal of a business. It outlines the company's long-term objectives, values, and direction in order to guide decision-making and strategy.

Why is having a clear vision important for a business?

A clear vision helps to align all aspects of the business, from employees to processes to products, towards a common goal. It also serves as a guide for decision-making, and can inspire and motivate employees. Additionally, a clear vision can help differentiate a business from its competitors and attract customers who align with its values.

How is a vision different from a mission statement?

A vision is the long-term goal or purpose of a business, while a mission statement is a brief statement that outlines the company's core purpose and values. While a vision is more abstract and future-oriented, a mission statement is more concrete and action-oriented.

Can a vision change over time?

Yes, a vision can change over time as a business evolves and grows. It is important for a vision to be regularly reviewed and updated to ensure it remains relevant and aligned with the company's goals and values.

How can a business create a strong vision?

To create a strong vision, a business should involve key stakeholders such as employees, customers, and partners in the process. It should also consider its core values, long-term goals, and unique strengths and differentiators. Communication and regular review of the vision are also important to ensure it remains relevant and inspires all aspects of the business.