Sharing IQ Scores: The Ethics and Implications

• Thread starter JackRohr
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of IQ and whether people would be willing to share their scores, along with their job and ethnic background. The average IQ is mentioned to be 100 with a standard deviation of 15. Some individuals share their IQ scores, ranging from 77 to over 9000, while others mention not having been tested or questioning the accuracy of their scores. The idea of studying the correlation between IQ and ethnic background is brought up, with suggestions to consult organizations like Mensa for data. The conversation also touches on the controversial nature of IQ and its limited ability to accurately measure intelligence.
Jorriss said:
I don't think I've ever seen someone on the internet claim to have < 130.

I scored a 129 once. Granted, I was blindfolded, but whatever.

Physics news on Phys.org
AnTiFreeze3 said:
I scored a 129 once. Granted, I was blindfolded, but whatever.

I scored 122 once, but I was trying to score as low as I could.

Sayajin said:
Weak... Mine is over 9000!

The US Congress has you beaten. It's collective IQ has been estimated at at least 10,000, but that's divided among 535 members!

micromass said:
I scored 122 once, but I was trying to score as low as I could.

I scored that too, but it was in base-16, because someone had put a HEX on me. :eek:

I am a member of Mensa but that is not what I am looking for. I have put this on many message boards to see if iq's follow trends on different sites.

SW VandeCarr said:
The US Congress has you beaten. It's collective IQ has been estimated at at least 10,000, but that's divided among 535 members!

OK, but "over 9000" doesn't mean "under 10000" :smile:

SW VandeCarr said:

I just said that its over 9000 but we don't know which number from [itex](9000 ;\infty ) [/itex] it is.
The reason for this is because when I mesure something and the mesurement says it passes the number 9000 my natural reaction is to grab the tool in my hand and smash it screaming "It's over 9000!" .

AnTiFreeze3 said:
mines tis many!

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_557/129010382582FY9H.jpg

Mine is also so low that I can count it on my fingers and toes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sayajin said:
I just said that its over 9000 but we don't know which number from [itex](9000 ;\infty ) [/itex] it is.
The reason for this is because when I mesure something and the mesurement says it passes the number 9000 my natural reaction is to grab the tool in my hand and smash it screaming "It's over 9000!" .

I'm glad you explained that.

SW VandeCarr said:
I'm glad you explained that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik

SW VandeCarr said:

I've beaten US congress. My superior IQ of 20000 is far greater than them.

xxChrisxx said:
I've never been tested, but I estimate it at approximately 6000.

Jimmy Snyder said:
IQ: 185
Ethnic Background: Cretan.

I love you both.

Jorriss said:
I don't think I've ever seen someone on the internet claim to have < 130.

According to my first IQ test, taken age 16, it's 80 ... which amazed some of my friends as they were convinced it would be lower ... much lower. Oddly, I can remember my thought processes during this test.

"what is the next number in the sequence: 1, 2, 3, 4?" <instantaneous 5 flashed into my head and was equally promptly dismissed from consideration> Hmm. Gosh, I haven't a clue. It could be any of a number of sequences. I guess as it's an IQ test, it must be a really tricky one. ... Nope, can't think what it might be. Let's try the second one.
"what is the missing number: 4 9 16 .. 36? <instantaneous 25 etc ...> Ooh, these are a lot harder than I thought. I wonder how X got into Mensa? ... never mind, let's try number three.

After many such miserable failures, I kind of gave up trying to answer the questions and just put down the first thing that popped into my head. It was only when I looked at the answers, and saw that my "obvious", no-brainer answers were actually the correct ones, that it dawned on me that the average IQ was unlikely to be 100 if the questions were really as hard I thought they had to be. At which point, I glumly had to agree with my friends' assessments of my intelligence, because if I really was clever I'd have worked that out long before. :frown:

Last edited:
There are different IQ scales, with significantly different standard deviation. The Cattell scale is widely used here and has a standard deviation of 24 rather than 15 or 16.

When I joined Mensa they told me that I'm in the top 0.5%. I originally thought that was effectively an estimate of my position on the scale, but much later I heard that all scores higher than some fixed threshold are given that result, as the standard test cannot meaningfully distinguish higher levels accurately. (They did offer a higher level test but I wasn't interested).

The most interesting question is what exactly IQ tests are measuring.

Sayajin said:
what exactly IQ tests are measuring.

The ability to take IQ tests, of course! :biggrin:

Sayajin said:
The most interesting question is what exactly IQ tests are measuring.

jtbell said:
The ability to take IQ tests, of course! :biggrin:

This will test your ability to take tests.

Lol Bob!

BobG said:

:rofl: The best test I've ever seen!

BobG said:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/tough.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
There are at least two scales, with 100 as the mean. So any data without reference to the scale used is meaningless.

I must have done something backwards. I got a QI result. They told me to 'quit it'.

I took a "real" one from an educational psychologist. The test was part of a battery of tests looking for learning disabilities. It involved pencil and paper exercises, computer based exercises and manipulation of 3-D objects. I placed just above 3 std. dev. but was negative for learning disabilities. My job is delivering pizza. My ethnicity is mostly "white" (that is, recent ancestors were mostly in Europe).

edit - Also, I took it as an adult, not as a youth. I'm not sure if that matters.

I only have enough IQ for my own personal use, so I don't have any to share with the rest of you. Sorry about that!

ModusPwnd said:
... I placed just above 3 std. dev. but was negative for learning disabilities ...

Why would you say "but" ?

Slightly above three standard deviations would be 145+, yet you say "but I don't have any learning disabilities." Yo no comprende.

I find these types of threads as highly irritating i.e. ones where the OP is pointless and the replies are meaningless posts of satire.

AnTiFreeze3 said:

Slightly above three standard deviations would be 145+, yet you say "but I don't have any learning disabilities." Yo no comprende.

Maybe he means ##\mu - 3\sigma##? :uhh:

InvalidID said:
I find these types of threads as highly irritating i.e. ones where the OP is pointless and the replies are meaningless posts of satire.

I agree. I need this for a school project and in all responses I have found 1 actual one which won't cut it for school.

AnTiFreeze3 said:

The respondent may simply be stating that they got such a relatively high score because they don't have any learning disabilities.

However, if someone does, then the test outcome will depend to some extent upon the nature of the disabilities. Head injuries resulting in, say, prospective memory and verbal memory dysfunction may leave reasoning ability and visual memory sufficiently intact to do well on IQ tests. Dyslexia will have an impact upon certain types of test but not so much on others.

Continuing the tone of the thread, in my case, the test was multiple choice and I had to rely on the psychic ability inherited from my Welsh ancestors to guess the answers. I mean, there's no way I'd ever have passed the Mensa entrance test if I had to rely on what's left of my native wit. I was also damn lucky Shakespeare let me borrow one of his monkeys for my astrophysics exams, couldn't have done it without the little chap. o:)

I have ADHD and dyslexia yet I am still in the genius range. They have also shown that things such as add come with the territory of having a high iq. Though they do not always it has been a trend

AlephZero said:
I only have enough IQ for my own personal use, so I don't have any to share with the rest of you. Sorry about that!
It's alright for you, you can get away with that "personal use" stuff, but if I got caught, I'd be doing heavy time, man, h e a v y time. There ain't no way they ain't goin' to be believin' I'm not dealin'! :frown:

JackRohr said:
I need this for a school project and in all responses I have found 1 actual one ...
I must say I am shocked by the behavior of my fellow PFffts. Here we have, in JackRohr, a dedicated researcher applying all of his skill in gathering scientific data and all you can do it joke about it. The fact that I alone would take this task seriously should give one pause for thought. Frankly, I am disappointed in you all. JackRohr, I appologize for my association with this sorry group of would-be comedians. You may find solace in the famous quote by my countryman, Epimenides, which I suggest you google.

Last edited:
JackRohr said:
I have ADHD and dyslexia yet I am still in the genius range. They have also shown that things such as add come with the territory of having a high iq. Though they do not always it has been a trend

There are certainly problems with thinking too fast. I'm fed up with getting criticised for my "negative attitude" for identifying major potential problems in some plan before most people have even begun to understand the positive aspects, even though in many cases I also find potential solutions which are better than the original plan.

I too an online IQ test a few years ago that took approximately 5-10 minutes and scored 145.

Let me add, in defense of my fellow PFffts, that my position as IQ test scorer requires a level of integrity that rises above the ordinary. A person in my position could easily deflate the scores of their enemies or inflate those of their friends. On the positive side, I have taken the liberty of crunching the numbers (I know I shouldn't be doing JackRohr's homework, but I think you'll agree that the results are too important to hold back). The average PFfft scores IQ tests for a living and is Cretan. The average IQ among us is 185 with a standard deviation of 0. This conforms with the 5 sigma criterion. If JackRohr can get his research published in a peer reviewed journal, he is certain to be in contention for this year's Ig Nobel in physics.