eigenvalues and eigenvectors

by Pseudo Epsilon
Tags: eigenvalues, eigenvectors
Pseudo Epsilon
May5-13, 01:18 AM
P: 102
can someone PLEASE explain eigenvalues and eigenvectors and how to calculate them or a link to a site that teaches it simply?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math modeling handbook now available
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
Pseudo Epsilon
May5-13, 01:18 AM
Ive already read the wiki and asked my math teacher, he doesnt even know what they are.
UVW
May5-13, 01:22 AM
P: 21
I think that Khan Academy does a great job explaining just that!

http://www.khanacademy.org/math/line...d-eigenvectors

Also, don't forget that there's a "Math & Science Learning Materials" forum on this website; it might be a better place to check in the future.

HallsofIvy
May5-13, 08:04 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,904

eigenvalues and eigenvectors

Do you know what "vectors" and "linear transformations" are? Do you know what a "linear vector space" is?
HomogenousCow
May5-13, 10:16 AM
P: 318
Quote Quote by Pseudo Epsilon View Post
Ive already read the wiki and asked my math teacher, he doesnt even know what they are.
That is sad to hear, eigenvectors and eigenvalues are very basic maths. Teachers are very underqualified these days.

A linear operator is a function that maps one vector space into another, there are certain vectors which when transformed by the linear operator, comes out as a scalar multiple of itself, the vector is the eigenvector and the multiple is the eigenvalue.
Pseudo Epsilon
May5-13, 10:47 PM
dont judge me but how does one map one vector space onto another?
Pseudo Epsilon
May5-13, 10:59 PM
he doesnt know what a vector space even is! And the wiki doesnt do much to even seperate it from vectors.
WannabeNewton
May5-13, 11:23 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,941
Let ##V## be a vector space over ##F## and let ##T:V\rightarrow V## be a linear operator. We say ##v\in V\setminus \left \{ 0 \right \}## is an eigenvector of ##T## if there exists a ##\lambda\in F## such that ##T(v) = \lambda v##. We call ##\lambda## an eigenvalue of ##T##.

As an example, let ##V = M_{n\times n}(\mathbb{R})## and let ##T:V\rightarrow V,A \mapsto A^{T}##. We want to find the eigenvalues of ##T##. Let ##A\in V## such that ##T(A) = A^{T} = \lambda A##. Note that ##T(T(A)) = \lambda ^{2}A = (A^T)^T = A## hence ##A(\lambda^{2} - 1) = 0## and since eigenvectors have to be non-zero, this implies ##\lambda = \pm 1##.
Pseudo Epsilon
May6-13, 08:37 AM
thanks!

Register to reply