Complex scalar field propagator evaluation.

In summary, you are having a problem with the propagator for the complex Klein-Gordon field because you cannot calculate ∂x<0|φ + (x)φ(y)|0>. You should take a look at this link which will give you a better understanding of the math involved.
Ace10
Good afternoon fellow scientists,i have a small problem in evaluating the propagator for the complex Klein-Gordon field. Although the procedure is the one followed for the computation of the propagator of the real K-G field, a problem comes up:

As known: <0|T[itex]\varphi^{+}(x)\varphi(y)[/itex]|0> = [itex]\Theta(x^{0}-y^{0})[/itex]<0|[itex]\varphi^{+}(x)\varphi(y)[/itex]|0> + [itex]\Theta(y^{0}-x^{0})[/itex]<0|[itex]\varphi(y)\varphi^{+}(x)[/itex]|0>

and <0|[itex]\varphi^{+}(x)\varphi(y)[/itex]|0>=<0|[itex]\varphi(y)\varphi^{+}(x)[/itex]|0>

But if we try to verify that one of the above correlation functions is a green's function of the K-G equation we hit the obstacle: [itex]\partial_{x}[/itex]<0|[itex]\varphi^{+}(x)\varphi(y)[/itex]|0> . And I refer to it as an obstacle because of the commutation relation [[itex]\varphi(x),\pi^{+}(y)[/itex]]=0..How could i deal with this calculation..? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry about the equation faults, if something is not clear or needs correction, please let me know.

Try putting the entire equation in tex. The tex symbols for left and right angle brackets are \langle and \rangle.

Ace10 said:
Good afternoon fellow scientists,i have a small problem in evaluating the propagator for the complex Klein-Gordon field. Although the procedure is the one followed for the computation of the propagator of the real K-G field, a problem comes up:

As known: <0|T[itex]\varphi^{+}(x)\varphi(y)[/itex]|0>=[itex]\Theta(x^{0}-y^{0})<0|[/itex]\varphi^{+}(x)\varphi(y)|0>+[itex]\Theta(y^{0}-x^{0})<0|\varphi(y)\varphi^{+}(x)[/itex]|0>

and <0|[/itex]\varphi^{+}(x)\varphi(y)|0>=<0|\varphi(y)\varphi^{+}(x)[/itex]|0>

But if we try to verify that one of the above correlation functions is a green's function of the K-G equation we hit the obstacle: [itex]\partial_{x}[/itex]<0|[/itex]\varphi^{+}(x)\varphi(y)|0> . And I refer to it as an obstacle because of the commutation relation [\varphi(x),\pi^{+}(y)]=0..How could i deal with this calculation..? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

You should take a look at this link. I know it's quite hard to find, but it gives a pretty good introduction on mathjax/latex.

I think its ok now..Good afternoon fellow scientists,i have a small problem in evaluating the propagator for the complex Klein-Gordon field. Although the procedure is the one followed for the computation of the propagator of the real K-G field, a problem comes up:

As known: <0|Tφ + (x)φ(y) |0> = Θ(x 0 −y 0 ) <0|φ + (x)φ(y) |0> + Θ(y 0 −x 0 ) <0|φ(y)φ + (x) |0>

and <0|φ + (x)φ(y) |0>=<0|φ(y)φ + (x) |0>

But if we try to verify that one of the above correlation functions is a green's function of the K-G equation we hit the obstacle: ∂ x <0|φ + (x)φ(y) |0> . And I refer to it as an obstacle because of the commutation relation [φ(x),π + (y) ]=0..How could i deal with this calculation..? Thanks in advance.
As for the problem itself, any help?

See if this helps,you can see it further in Peskin and Schroeder's book.

Thanks adrien,I have in mind the corresponding paragraph in Peskin and Schroeder's book but I'll check this out too, it's quite helpful.

1. What is a complex scalar field propagator?

A complex scalar field propagator is a mathematical concept used in quantum field theory to describe the propagation of a quantum field. It represents the probability amplitude for a particle to propagate from one point to another in a given amount of time.

2. How is the complex scalar field propagator evaluated?

The complex scalar field propagator is evaluated using a mathematical formula known as the Feynman path integral, which takes into account all possible paths that a particle can take between two points in spacetime. This integral is then solved using various techniques, such as perturbation theory or numerical methods.

3. What is the significance of evaluating the complex scalar field propagator?

Evaluating the complex scalar field propagator allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum particles in a given system. It is an essential tool in understanding and predicting the interactions of particles at the quantum level.

4. How does the evaluation of the complex scalar field propagator differ from other types of propagators?

The evaluation of the complex scalar field propagator differs from other types of propagators in that it involves complex numbers, as opposed to real numbers. This allows for a more accurate description of quantum systems, as it takes into account both the magnitude and phase of the particle's wavefunction.

5. What are some applications of the complex scalar field propagator?

The complex scalar field propagator has various applications in theoretical physics, particularly in quantum field theory and particle physics. It is used to calculate scattering amplitudes, decay rates, and other properties of particles. It also plays a crucial role in the development of theories such as the Standard Model and quantum electrodynamics.