Submersible Bilge Pump for 1-2ms PPM Signal @ 50Hz

• Thread starter Martin2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump
In summary, the conversation is about finding a submersible bilge pump that can be controlled using the HobbyKing KK2.0 Flight control board. The speaker suggests using a motor controller to convert the RC signal to motor control PWM and mentions the importance of testing the pump's power usage. They also discuss using a float valve switch to control the pump and the possibility of using a variable speed control for an underwater quadcopter. The conversation ends with a recommendation for a book on underwater vehicle design and construction.
Martin2013
Hi,

Would anyone know where I can find a submersible bilge pump that understands a 1-2ms ppm signal at 50Hz?
I would like to control a bilge pump using the HobbyKing KK2.0 Flight control board ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31656__Hobbyking_KK2_0_Multi_rotor_LCD_Flight_Control_Board_UK_Warehouse_.html ).

I have been desperately trying to find one!

Thank you!

Martin2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just so we are clear -I believe you mean a PWM signal.
I have wired a number of bilge pumps and am not aware of an RC control capable bilge pump or one that is meant to operate at anything less than 100% of capacity. They are merely intended to be made inexpensively and run reliably.
The only way that I am aware of to convert an RC signal to motor control PWM is to put a motor controller between your flight control board and the pump. Something like this:( http://www.pololu.com/product/1373 ) would work, I believe. The larger pumps can pull a considerable amount of power, so be sure to test the pump's power usage fully loaded before you size your motor control board. The 2100 GPH bilge pump in the stern of my boat will draw 10+ amps with a full head of water.
Hope that helps.

billblack said:
Just so we are clear -I believe you mean a PWM signal.
I have wired a number of bilge pumps and am not aware of an RC control capable bilge pump or one that is meant to operate at anything less than 100% of capacity. They are merely intended to be made inexpensively and run reliably.
The only way that I am aware of to convert an RC signal to motor control PWM is to put a motor controller between your flight control board and the pump. Something like this:( http://www.pololu.com/product/1373 ) would work, I believe. The larger pumps can pull a considerable amount of power, so be sure to test the pump's power usage fully loaded before you size your motor control board. The 2100 GPH bilge pump in the stern of my boat will draw 10+ amps with a full head of water.
Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot for your reply.
So you suggest I link the KK2.0 board to the motor controller and link the motor controller to the speed controller? All of this for the 4 motors?
Which bilge pump do you suggest I use?
Thanks a lot for your help!

Why on Earth would you want a variable speed control on a bilge pump? Just wire it through a float valve switch - if there is water in the bilge it gets pumped out, if there isn't it doesn't.

MrAnchovy said:
Why on Earth would you want a variable speed control on a bilge pump? Just wire it through a float valve switch - if there is water in the bilge it gets pumped out, if there isn't it doesn't.

That's because I'm building an underwater quadcopter.

I thought that might be your intent. An underwater ROV in quadcopter form...ought to be a masters thesis in hydrodynamics.
and yes, you will have to feed the motor controllers a signal they can understand, so be sure to get controllers that will take a PWM signal. In addition the controllers will have to support reversing the motor(s). Many do not.
Any of the cartridge style bilge pumps that you see available in stores have replacement motor cartridges. 360 gmh and 500 gph pumps are usually used, depending in the size of the vehicle. A model boat prop fits right on the output shaft. Google "DIY ROV" and you will find several descriptions of bilge pumps used as ROV thrusters.
The very best book on underwater vehicle design, construction and control is at the following link. It costs about $100 US and will be the cheapest thing you buy considering the time and money it will save you.
http://www.marinetech.org/underwater-robotics-textbook/

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a submersible bilge pump?

A submersible bilge pump is a type of pump designed to be used in the bilge area of boats to remove excess water from the compartment. It is typically waterproof and can be submerged in water without causing damage.

What does "1-2ms PPM Signal @ 50Hz" mean?

"1-2ms PPM Signal @ 50Hz" refers to the pulse width modulation (PPM) signal and frequency at which the bilge pump operates. PPM is a method of transmitting data in which the signal switches between on and off states at a specific frequency, in this case 50Hz, with a pulse width of 1-2 milliseconds.

What is the purpose of a submersible bilge pump?

The main purpose of a submersible bilge pump is to remove water from the bilge area of a boat. This helps to prevent the boat from taking on excess water and potentially sinking. It can also be used to remove other liquids, such as oil or fuel, from the bilge.

How does a submersible bilge pump work?

A submersible bilge pump typically has an electric motor and an impeller. When the motor is activated, the impeller rotates, creating suction that draws water into the pump. The water is then forced out through an outlet and discharged overboard. Some pumps may also have a float switch that automatically activates the pump when water reaches a certain level.

What factors should be considered when choosing a submersible bilge pump?

When choosing a submersible bilge pump, some important factors to consider include the size and type of boat, the size and capacity of the bilge area, the amount of water or liquid that needs to be pumped out, and the power supply available. It is also important to consider the pump's flow rate, head (vertical distance the water needs to be lifted), and the material and durability of the pump for long-term use in a marine environment.