Behavior of a Natural Rubber Stud Mount.

In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation discussed the inquiry of a forum member regarding the behavior of a rubber stud mount when a moment is applied about its radial axis. It was suggested to understand the properties of rubber, obtain precise material data, and validate the model through experiments or simulations. The importance of considering the geometry and dimensions of the mount was also emphasized.
Damtranos
Hello,

I am interested in estimating/modelling the behavior of a rubber stud mount (http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00nemTaJBgEcbE/Anti-Vibration-Mounting.jpg) when a moment is applied about its radial axis. In my application, I am using it primarily as a spring alternative where it supports a steel plate which is to be able to bend in all directions and thus I would be interested in knowing how much force it will exert on the plate per degree of bending.

So far I have referred to datasheets that provide the maximum compression load and compression deflection and assuming that the mount behaves like a spring (This is claimed by the manufacturer) I tried deriving the stiffness using these values. However with my calculations the stud mount appears much stiffer than it is in reality.

If anyone has any ideas on this or can point me to appropriate sources, it will be much appreciated. Please bear in mind that I have no access to the precise material data such as density, young's modulus and tensile strength; I can only use approximate values for these.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you for your inquiry regarding the behavior of a rubber stud mount when a moment is applied about its radial axis. As a scientist with experience in material behavior and modeling, I would like to offer some suggestions and ideas for your project.

Firstly, it is important to understand the properties and behavior of rubber as a material. Rubber is known for its elasticity and ability to return to its original shape after being deformed. However, it also has a non-linear stress-strain relationship, meaning that its stiffness and deformation behavior changes as the applied load increases.

In order to accurately model the behavior of the rubber stud mount, it would be helpful to have access to the precise material data such as density, young's modulus, and tensile strength. These values are crucial in determining the stiffness of the material and can greatly affect the accuracy of your calculations.

If you are unable to obtain these precise values, I suggest using approximate values for these properties. However, it is important to note that this may result in some inaccuracies in your model.

Additionally, it would be beneficial to conduct experiments or simulations to validate your model. You can do this by applying a known moment to the rubber stud mount and measuring the resulting force on the steel plate. This will help you determine the actual stiffness of the mount and compare it to your calculated value.

Furthermore, it is important to consider the geometry and dimensions of the rubber stud mount. The shape and size of the mount can also affect its stiffness and behavior under load.

Overall, I recommend consulting with a materials engineer or conducting further research on the properties of rubber and its behavior under load. I hope this information is helpful and wish you success in your project.

1. What is a natural rubber stud mount?

A natural rubber stud mount is a type of mounting system used to secure objects in place. It consists of a metal stud that is attached to a surface, with a rubber cushion or pad attached to the end of the stud. The rubber pad helps to absorb shock and vibrations, making it ideal for use in various applications such as machinery, furniture, and electronics.

2. How does a natural rubber stud mount work?

The rubber pad in a natural rubber stud mount acts as a buffer between the metal stud and the surface it is attached to. When an external force is applied to the mounted object, the rubber pad compresses and absorbs the shock, preventing the object from moving or vibrating excessively. This helps to protect the object and the surface it is mounted on.

3. What are the advantages of using a natural rubber stud mount?

One of the main advantages of a natural rubber stud mount is its ability to reduce vibrations and noise. This makes it useful in environments where excessive vibrations can cause damage or disruption. Additionally, the natural rubber material is highly durable and resistant to wear, making it a long-lasting mounting solution.

4. Are there any limitations to using a natural rubber stud mount?

While natural rubber stud mounts have many benefits, they may not be suitable for all applications. The level of vibration and shock absorption may vary depending on the size and weight of the mounted object. Additionally, extreme temperatures and exposure to chemicals can affect the performance of the rubber material, so it is important to consider these factors when choosing a stud mount.

5. How do I choose the right natural rubber stud mount for my application?

When selecting a natural rubber stud mount, it is important to consider the weight and size of the object you are mounting, as well as the level of vibration and shock it may experience. It is also important to choose a stud mount with the appropriate load capacity to ensure it can support the weight of the object. Additionally, consider the environment in which the stud mount will be used, and choose a material that can withstand any potential challenges, such as extreme temperatures or exposure to chemicals.